Shower valve hot water

After researching mixing valve problems on the web I had the cartridge replaced in the Moen single handle shower valve to increase hot water. The hot water is known to be available by the sink next to shower where it is very hot. The new cartridge did not produce any more hot temperature than the old (2.5 years) one. Seeking a solution I removed the stop for the rotation to see if more hot water could be found. There was a burst of very hot water for a brief (.5sec) without changing handle and then a return to just warm water.

This suggested that a thermostat was kicking in to prevent scalding when water is too hot. So I lowered the temperature from the tankless heater but it did not improve the condition. The research said these thermostats sometimes use wax pellets that control temps. Question..is the thermostat located in the cartridge? If not where would it be? Question=85what other possible cause is preventing hot water reach shower head? thanks Bill

Reply to
FlaBill

It does sound like you have one of those safety valves that actively restricts the hot water. All mine simply have adjustable stops and I have adjusted them to be pretty hot. I saw a number of those safety ones on clearance at lowes the other day, they must not be very popular. A restriction in the piping is very unlikely unless you have a really old house. Cant you see any sort of model number or part number on the valve body? That would allow you to research it further. Otherwise I don't see any way to know for certain except to replace the entire valve.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

First the problem is probably not your valve , but your plumbing . The valve will not make water hotter then what it is coming into the valve . The only thing you can control is the pressure balance and the Temp limit control which involves a couple of plastic rings under the handle which are probably set wrong . Suggest you read this section of the directions with the tap , also suggest you stop looking for a thermostat on the tap as there is not one . Only a limiter to control how far you can turn the handle to the hot side , as to not scald kids . Also check your pressure balance if it rattles it is good if not get it replaced .

Reply to
jim

Number on black part of assembly is 109113 and was installed two and a half years ago. Adjusted plastic rings to max without change of temp. How is pressure balance checked? What rattles? The handle has to be turned counter clockwise from 12 to 3(max) to get hot water or warm water. That seems like the hot has to compete with an awful lot of cold water. I live in Florida and the water is not very cold. Your help is appreciated. Bill

Reply to
FlaBill

You don't say if it has been this way only recently, or forever, or how long????

Reply to
hrhofmann

who made the valve?

is there a spray wand on the outlet?

or a plugged spray head

Reply to
hallerb

In my first post I described it as a MOEN SINGLE HANDLE SHOWER valve. No spray wand, simple shower head. The problem developed over a period of two or three months.

Reply to
FlaBill

have you called moen? many vave manufacturers have toll free phone numbers staffed by knowledgable people.

remove shower head to see if water is still too cool

Reply to
hallerb

Called Moen and a replacement cartridge is on the way.

Reply to
FlaBill

You didn't tell us it had deteriorated over a period of time. That model doesn't appear to include the scald protection but does have some sort of pressure compenation design. Maybe that's what was messed up.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Replacement cartridge did not solve hot water problem. I have tried changing temperature setting on the Titan tankless SCR2 higher and lower with no change to temp. I turned the valve to max hot and adjusted the main inlet valve to minimum with no luck either. Did I mention the pressure is definitely less on hot setting? I would like to avoid tearing into walls to get to the galvinized pipes. There is one inline shut-off on exit side of heater. Reducing that did not change anything. At whits end.... Bill

Reply to
FlaBill

quoted text -

Can you turn the cold supply off and leave the hot on? If so do that and turn the hot water on with the cartridge removed. The water will spray out of the opening where the cartridge goes. See if it gets hot enough.

I doubt you have galvinized pipes. How old is the house?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

de quoted text -

I replaced the shower head with the original water saving type and my hot water problem is solved.

I'm embarrassed to not have thought of this before even at the urging of halerb to check it. Thanks to all who considered the problem and gave advice. Bill

Reply to
FlaBill