shower pan install question

The manufacture suggests setting the new acrylic shower pan in a bed of cement to add support I guess. My question I hope not that stupid, Is something like a mortar mix better than cement mix? would I use a "stiff" mix and just trowel it out so the pan "seat" itself? Anything better then using cement? Expanding foam?
As an apt bldg manager that has had numerous problems with shower pans over the years....foam is not as reliable as mortar. In fact in my home (we just bought) I'm having a problem with a fiberglass tub that that leaks and warbles, it was not set in mortar. Not a pretty sight after the tub has been installed. The mortar is thin... I vote for mortar mix
Terry

gntry wrote:

I like "cement". Actually what is called a "sand mix". Mortar mix will crumble when it's in a big lump like this. Sand mix is stronger than mortar and without the giant stones in "concrete".
You want the mix on the mushy side without being watery.
Trowel the mix onto the flooring and then squish the pan into it. If you misjudge and have too much mix to allow the pan to sit properly, take it up and remove some mix. Use a level to confirm the pan is correctly set.
Jim
Had a shower base installed that was not a solid fit to the cement floor and would flex when stepped on. Not a good plumbing installation. Manufacturer recommended using foam.and it did the job real well. Right now the base is solid and doesn't move at all. Probably not as good as cement but don't be afraid to use foam--use plenty of it such that it expands well beyond the parameter of the base. MLD