Shower hi-hat light install problem

I am updating my bathroom and I would like to put a hi-hat can in my shower. The problem is that there is a 2X4 joist running in the middle of where I want to put the hi-hat in the center. Here are some pics:

If I cut a 6" hole for my hi-hat, I would have to cut the 2X4 also and I have to try and find a way to brace each side. There is no room to work in that area or put a drill in. I was thinking what if I got a couple of 2X4's and used Liquid nails and put one on either side of where the light has to go. Just rest it on top of the frame. It would be adhered to the side 2X4's and it would adhere to the middle 2X4 and it would be sufficient. Any inputs. Thanks.

Reply to
Mikepier

It's such a small area, I think you'd be fine even without that center 2x

Reply to
RBM

Thats what I was thinking but liquid nails or a better construction adhesive glue them eithr side of the lite this will not take any load though so why .

Reply to
jim

Since you have tile on the ceiling I would be concerned that piece of wood is carrying some of the weight. If you cut it the ceiling may sag over time. I don't know if just laying some wood with glue on top would be sufficient.

Reply to
John Grabowski

It's a 32"X32" area

Reply to
Mikepier

A guy I work with has a small Makita 90 degree drill that i could borrow to screw in the wood from the top, so it looks as if the problem will be solved. By the way, does this light need to be GFI protected?

Reply to
Mikepier

If the fixture is subject to shower spray, it must be listed for "wet locations". There is no requirement to be GFCI protected, unless required by the fixture manufacturer. Personally, I'd use GFCI protection regardless

Reply to
RBM

I agree, I'll protect it with GFI anyway.

Reply to
Mikepier

Before you decide where to mount the lamp, check with the female shower users. They prefer (insist on) lighting appropriately placed so they can see to shave their body parts (DOWN, Boy!). Once the perfect location is chosen, you may find that the 2 x 4 is not even a problem. If that turns out not to be true, then the reinforcement scheme with adhesive is a good idea. I'm dubious about most adhesives in a shower environment, so a slow cure 2 part epoxy seems like the best choice applied liberally over well fitted new 2 x 4's situated to be most reinforcing. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

After taking a look at the photos....I'm thinking that the "joist" is really just "blocking" for the ceiling drywall (or wonder board).

I would loath to cut it without replacing its capacity....the ceiling tile joint might crack.

I would slightly jack the ceiling with a strut & then epoxy in 2 well fitted 2x4's on either side of the "joist" to be cut. I recommend SIKA Sikadur Anchorfix #3.....a slow set, 2 part epoxy in a standard sized caulk tube.

Leave the strut in place until the epxoy cures ~ a couple hours / over night.

cheers Bob

Epoxy is way stiffer than

Reply to
BobK207