Shower Drip

Hi,

We have a Delta Shower valve in our upstairs bathroom that is dripping. It is a single faucet system so it is the type you just turn the handle and adjust another lever for the desired temperature.

I tried setting it to just hot, or just cold, but it drips either way. It's not a fast drip, but annoying and I really want to fix it. Kind of makes the stall humid all the time.

The plumber told me it's a big job and the whole unit needs to be replaced which means opening the wall from the back. It's a stall shower so this could actually be done without removing any tile. But the wall is wall papered and I don't think I have any of that paper around.

Shouldn't this just be a matter of replacing a cartridge or something?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
szeik

Yes, replace cartridge or something :-)

Find the Delta model on Delta's web site to see what parts you'll need.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

He is a theif. Never call him agian.

Yes, there are kits at any hardware store to fix them. The shower handle setup is very similar to th e fa ucets on the sinks. Two prings and two rubber cups.

FWIW, I had to replace my shower faucet as it was un-repiarable. I made the hole in the wall that was to the left of the sink. I have yet to paint it as it was easy to just hang a mirror over it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree with the poster that said he was a thief. You could replace the whole "unit" without tearing up the wall, but you probably only need to replace washers and seats for a cost of around $5. The biggest drawback to doing it yourself is that you need to shut of the water supply to the shower, which may mean shutting off water the whole house. If you run into complications that could be inconvenient. Just know that a plumber should be able to do this in minutes with nominal cost for parts. Most have a minimum charge for showing up. If they are honest, you really shouldn't have to pay much more than that.

Reply to
frank megaweege