shower curtain rod

I have a fiberglass single-piece shower/tub unit that I purchased with my new home several years ago. It is almost identical to the units you can purchase at Home Depot.

I noticed that once in a while the shower curtain doesn't get closed right, and water leaks out. And so I'm working on installing clips and other things, but...

I am also wondering where is the correct location to position the shower curtain rod?

Meaning, should it be directly above the inside edge of the tub, or should it be more towards the outside edge of the tub so that it hides the shower unit better?

My builder did the latter, but in looking at how to minimize leaks in the future, the former seems to make more sense. It is the difference of about 6 inches. If I hang it over the inside edge then the shower curtain goes straight down into the tub, while if I leave it where the builder put it, it angles in towards the tub.

Reply to
Jack

Where the water does not leak out.

He does not care, it just got put up and he fulfilled his obligation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You might also look into picking up a pair of those stick-on plastic corner fillers to block the corners where the tub's side meets the end walls. They attach with double sided foam tape and force the water to run back down inside the tub rather than outside onto the floor.

They cost peanuts and really work well.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hey There Jack...

you need to put the spring loade curtain rod inside the tub and as high as you can. Then because the curtain rod can be seen you need to install a secon one outside the tub and hang a Vailance I have a fiberglass single-piece shower/tub unit that I purchased with

Reply to
Jim M

Jack,

We usually two rods if there is a fabric outer curtain. The plastic one should be installed so that the liner hangs straight down inside the tub. If the second rod is used for fabric it should be placed about 2" to the room side of the tub. This would place them about 6" apart or as you mentioned above.

This may not solve your problem due to the design of some of the fiberglass tubs. They sell all kinds of peel and stick wings that may help. Shower doors are a sure fire fix.

Reply to
Colbyt

We used to have these plastic things, ~a foot long, of which ~1/3 was gently curved to a 90-degree angle into an EL that had a couple of hooks on the short leg, with holes on the long one. The holes would be clipped to the shower curtain hangers while the short leg hooks would be used to extend the inner, plastic liner "around the corner" into the shower, leaving the exterior fabric, "pretty" curtain running straight to the wall.

Eventually they broke, but worked quite well. Haven't seen them in years, too bad.

I hope that makes any sense.

Reply to
Kevin