shower ceiling tiling & light fixture questions

We are redoing a off the family room, bathroom. This bathroom has a 66" tub and we wish to retile. The tile my we picked out is 9x13 ceramic.
Now my questions are: Can I and if so, How do I tile the ceiling of the shower area?
Used mostly by me, this shower will still be used a lot. I can put that concrete backing board on the ceiling joist above the shower area.
What type of adhesive do you suggest? I'd really dislike getting clunked on the noggin while shampooing. I will have a exhaust fan in the bathroom (it also has a window which we rarely open).
I also would like to put a floodlight recessed can in the ceiling of the shower area. Is there a special type of fixture I should use?

You need a Lifestyle change if: The Salvation Army declines your mattress.

yes, the same way you do the walls.

shower
you won't get much water on the ceiling. you don't need the concrete board there.

on
modified thinset.

FireBrick wrote:

The clunking usually happens when installing. Use thinset over drywall which has been screwed to the joists. I recommend the joists be no wider than 12" oc.c. The less flex you have the less chance of the tile falling during installtion. Set the tile and hold in place for a bit and don't move the tile once it's bonded, as it will appear to be set, but with the bond broken, the chance of it coming down are good. Wear a hard hat and safety galsses.

They make'm for for damp applications.
Thanks Have HardHat...will travel.

clunked
we
the
Not too sure if this is what you're looking for, but I tiled my shower ceiling on a diagonal (diamond). It's pretty tough to tile the ceiling like the side walls and have all three sides line up with it. The diagonal tiling hides all the mistakes. MLD

shower
on
MLD wrote:

Pro trick that's been used for many moons. And not just on ceilings.. Another is to run a perimeter border so that space to be filled inside the border diagonally. Uses full half diagonals. But you probably knew that already.
Actually I'm a retired union bricklayer and used that trick a lot. Especially when I could no longer match the existing brick. We called it 'accent framing'.

like