Should I Hire a Locksmith?

Page 1 of 4
I'm having a new house built and the builder has given me the option (to save money) of not having any locks or door knobs installed.
All doors are pre-drilled.
He suggests I should hire a locksmith, but I have installed locksets with kits from Loews before and honestly don't see any rocket science in it.
Advice please!!!
TIA
Tomas
If all of the holes are already drilled, then you'll at least have to know how to use a screw driver.

tomas wilson wrote:

i've never heard of this...and it's not even odd...
yeah, you can get at least 20.00 bucks an hour for doing it it would be like working from your own home
tomas wilson wrote:

That sounds like a really strange comment from a builder.
In any case, I suggest getting the locksmith. They can help you decide what locks and other security devices you may want to use. BTW the locks from the big box stores are junk, even the expensive ones. They will not last nearly as long or provide the same level of security that a good lock set from a qualified locksmith.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
We moved into a home built in the 30's that already had mortise locks in all of the doors. Because of the convenience, we kept the existing lock and just leave the upper side button depressed so it's like passage even though there is still a cylinder on the outside, and installed a new Kwikset Access One (remote control / keypad) deadbolt lock with a bright-brass finish and lifetime finish warranty on the back door that we use all the time.
We used a satin chrome Schlage "commercial" grade keyed lever lockset on a detached garage due to the ease of use (lever). All of these were purchased at Home Depot.
What would you suggest as far as a better brand?

There are locks, and there are locks. If you want top quality, good security, visit a locksmith. Get sound advice, not just a low price for a mediocre lockset from a big box store. That may be fine for interior doors, but you want better on the entrance doors. If you don't care that it will be tarnished in three years. go to Lowes.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 03:16:51 GMT, you wrote:

Some locks have lifetime guarantee on the finish. but lifetime might be under 5 years. The BIG problem, from my years of house inspection is the poor quality door jambs
--Shiva--

Mine does just that.
It polishes up nice with Brasso.
Do you have a suggestion how to keep it shiny, or at least more shiny than it gets?

I believe the old method is to coat with a little shellac. you might try waxing it, or a period wipedown with an ammonia base cleaning product.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Lacquer

Thanks, and also to Philip.
Summer comes soon.

This sounds extremely odd. Once your locks are installed they loose all access to the property.
Better read you contract really carefully.
Do you get to paint as well?

I know you say that with a bit of sarcasm, but I know of two people that had the builder not paint so they could to it themselves.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Sweat Equity"
wrote in message

had
They used to advertise Sweat Equity when I first moved to Phoenix, 34 years ago. Now days the contracts are iron clad titanium to the gc or builder. No changes unless they are on the list and absolutely no changes once the dry wall is up. I have a friend that just built a new house. It was only 3 months late and a punch list of 16 pages. But it was ok to move in. The high ceiling are wavy. The high wall are not plumb, checked with my 4 foot level. I am sure glad I did not pay $200k for this property. Hey it is ok cause it is now worth $230k. But you can not sell it for one year from move in. Prevents people from buying and reselling.
He paid $600 for the builder to install "surround sound wiring" through out the home. The wires are to small in gauge, and not enough of them if you want to run a sub woofer or anything above 5. Should have checked the contract.
SQLit wrote:

I had an employeer several years ago who painted his new house (and sanded window seals perhaps) to save money on a Sweat Equity deal.

after closing, no one but the owners should posses keys to the place anyhow !
--
"Key"
"To the world you may be one person,

buy the locksets, take them somewhere to have them keyed the same, THEN install.

I disagree. The locks will need to be put on before the homeowner moves in to prevent vandalism. Therefore the contractor will need keys. You should have them only rekeyed once and that should be AFTER the construction process.
Jack