Short measure at propane tank exchange stations

Page 2 of 3

wrote

You must have a big property. Mine was $1.29 a foot.
Steve

Something around 100' to 125' (can't remember). They have to dig around three sides of my house and somewhat into the yard (around the back porch). It was that much just for the pipe. Mexicans were extra.
On 1/26/2011 12:29 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

Almost all rental joints refill bottles. And any rv joint can do it also.
--
Steve Barker

Only those who are in such a hurry that they don't read the sign.
Steve
?

After not having to read the sign for the past 50 years, it is a sleazy way of raising the price. Yes, it may be legal, it may be show on the label, but I don't read the sticker on a dozen eggs either. It has always been that way.
On 1/25/2011 9:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I always took my tanks to U-Haul and watched the guy fill them whilst the tank sat on the filling station scale. :-)
TDD
wrote

I have had most excellent service from UHaul in Las Vegas, and their prices were very good. I get mine locally here at a propane supplier in a rural Utah town, and it is the same. Plus, in this setting, everyone gets to stand there and watch their tanks being filled.
Steve

Right. Just like 16oz bags of potato chips, two pound cans of coffee and 1/2 gallon tubs of ice cream.
That said, I sort of understand where the manufacturers are coming from. It's not always about hiding a unit cost increase - sometimes it's the price point. They have evidence enough that enough people don't look at unit pricing - they have a set amount they will pay for a product and either not buy over that amount or will buy a competitive product that sells for less, even if it contains less.

And doesn't everywhere have the cost per unit price? Of course, one DOES have to look to see them.
Steve
On 01/26/11 02:14 am, Steve B wrote:

Only certain kinds of goods, AFAICS. But they often try to make it just a little herder to compare because some items show the price per pound while others show the price per ounce.
Perce
On 1/26/2011 9:51 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

You mean you have a problem being able to quickly comparing same product different size items that are intentionally priced at say "price each" and the other is priced at say "per ounce"?

Yabbut, you must admit, it's an easy calculation with anyone having an eight grade education.
Steve
wrote

You expected something else? It has always been buyer beware. Whole stores are designed to take advantage of impulse buyers, and hurried shoppers. Those who take their time and actually read things fare a little better. Like those smaller "pound" coffee cans.......................
Steve
?

Ice cream has survived as a half gallon for decades, at least 6 that I'm aware of. It is more costly to pack the smaller cartons. A hundred gallon batch of ice cream used to take 200 containers. Now it takes 266 containers for that batch. Given that the physical size and material is changed little, the smaller containers won't be that much cheaper. As a consumer, I'm being made to pay for that waste of resources.

My favorite hard cider recently changed it's bottle. What was 12 oz is now 11.2 oz. Unfortunately it's a common stunt.

Yes, but the total number of containers shipped remains the same.
That either means they have reduced batch size to 75 gallons, or they only make three 100-gallon batches where they used to make four.
Either way, the ingredient cost is reduced by 25%, while revenue stays the same.
?

But the cost of packaging still went up and we're paying for the waste. Used to be, many products were sold in the "large economy size" for just that reason.

That's very true... The cost of packaging and distribution can far exceed the cost of the actual contents. Makes you wonder why they resize packaging except that when you are shipping a million or more of each package, saving a few cents per item adds up quickly.
SMS wrote:

<http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/clothing-clothing-accessories-stores-stores/279631-1.html
You can live on $17/hr in CA???
On 1/26/2011 5:08 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Don't get out much do you? One of the issues we have in this country is the fact that we have become a largely service economy. Fewer and fewer belong to what used to be known as the middle class. The millions of manufacturing jobs that allowed folks to raise a family, buy a house whatever are gone. $17/hour is actually something to aspire to for a lot of folks. There is a good reason who outfits like walmart can claim with a big smirk "see, we aren't so bad, we opened the Smithville store and 8,000 applied for work." Where else are they going to go?