Short measure at propane tank exchange stations

Page 1 of 3
While waiting for my wife outside a store yesterday, I passed the time by reading the information on the "Blue Rhino" propane tank exchange setup. No surprises until I got to the bottom and discovered that the "Full" tanks contain only 15lb of propane. I thought that the "regular" small propane tanks held 20lb.
How many people are thinking that they are getting 20lb (as they would if they took their own tanks to a refilling station) for a good price but getting only 15lb?
Perce

Downsizing !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll remember that.

There's a class-action lawsuit against them over this issue. AmeriGas recently settled a class-action lawsuit over a similar claim:
A federal judge approved a $10 million settlement against a company accused of putting too little propane in its containers.
The settlement in the multidistrict litigation ended multiple cases filed against AmeriGas Propane Inc., AmeriGas Propane LP and AmeriGas Partners LP.
The plaintiffs alleged that the cylinders -- the type used for grills -- contained 15 pounds instead of the 17 pounds of the gas AmeriGas previously provided. The settlement covers consumers who bought or exchanged the cylinders between June 15, 2005, and Nov. 30, 2009.
Those with proofs of purchase can recover $5 for each propane tank they purchased or exchanged during the class period, up to $75. Those without proofs of purchase can recover $5.
The settlement also subjects AmeriGas to a three-year injunction, during which the company must take measures to prominently inform consumers of the actual net weight of propane in its tanks and to refrain from marketing those tanks as "full."
... The objectors had urged the judge to consider that, under federal and state laws and regulations, the cylinders should hold 20 pounds of propane, not the 17 pounds agreed to in the settlement. The objectors' argument would have vastly expanded the amount owed by AmeriGas.
Both AmeriGas and the other plaintiffs disputed the argument, saying the objectors had conflated the maximum amount a cylinder could hold with the amount with which it should safely be filled. Both parties also said no law requires cylinders to be filled with 20 pounds of propane.
Fenner overruled the objectors' arguments in his Oct. 4 order.
...The settlement did not affect a related series of lawsuit against Ferrellgas, the supplier of Blue Rhino propane. Bryan Cave is defending Ferrellgas.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7992/is_20101107/ai_n56275767 /

Agreed. Although I do have exchange facilities near me, I take mine to my local propane supplier, and get a MUCH better price. Why anyone would pay the rates at the exchange places is beyond me, especially when there are propane dealers very close by.
Steve
On 1/26/2011 12:26 PM, Steve B wrote:

There are 3 convenient propane places near me all owned by the same family. They have the lowest price, no club membership required and you can watch them fill your tank *completely*.

Because they're after 5:00PM and on weekends.
wrote

so's any Ace Hardware.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not just any Ace Hardware sells propane. Most don't. The grocery stores do exchanges 24x7, though. I've always thought a second tank was a cheaper option, though.
wrote

I have several Ace Hardwares in my area, and none sell propane.
Steve

There are no Ace Hardware stores around here and they don't sell propane either. ;-)
On 1/26/2011 7:50 AM, SMS wrote:

There are areas - particularly urban ones - where one's options for getting propane are very limited. The tank exchange may be all that's available. I live in a city where no one heats with propane, so there are no large-scale distributors of it. No gas stations that sell it - except for a few who offer the tank exchanges. I'm lucky enough to have in my vicinity a small hardware store that fills tanks, and also an RV repair shop that fills tanks - but in most of the city, the only option is a tank exchange. If all you're doing with the tank is using it for a gas grill or patio heater, I can see where it's not going to be a big enough deal to bother driving a distance to get a tank filled. Just grab one from the exchange and be done with it.
On 1/26/2011 12:29 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

I forgot to mention that the hardware store charges a flat fee per fill, per tank. If you bring in a partially-filled tank you pay the same as if the tank were empty. The RV shop, on the other hand, charges for only the amount of propane that is pumped into the tank.

That's a no brainer, even for someone who can't read or work a calculator.
Steve
On 1/26/2011 12:40 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

why would you bring in one that wasn't empty?
--
Steve Barker

Uh, you have one that is almost empty, and you want to cook something that will take three hours ...............
You're going camping, and want to just take a full tank ..................
You don't want to make an extra trip, so you round the low ones up and have them all filled ..........................
Then only charge you for what you put in them, so what's the difference ..................
Steve

Around us, many of the U-Haul truck rental places sell propane (not an exchange; they fill your tank). It's metered (sold per pound or gallon; I can't remember), so you don't lose out if the tank isn't empty. The total price for a full tank is generally less than any exchange price I've seen.
Josh

Lots of people use it for barbecues (s'cuuuuuuuuz me, grills), for camping, emergency use, metal cutting, propane torches, lots of things.
Steve

Our fireplace is propane and we're seriously looking at a "dual-fuel" oven (it'll cost something like $1K to run the propane line around the house). Natural gas isn't available in the area.
?

IMO, cooking with gas is worth it. Maybe it would be cheaper to put in a second tank for the range.

I thought about that, too. The guy from the gas company didn't think it was a good idea, even though they'd be getting the additional rental. I thought about relocating the existing tank to the other side (run the trench the other way ;) where it would be easier to fill. He didn't think that was necessary either. We'll likely get him back out to give us a better estimate and talk it over again.