Shingle Stains - Long Dark Streaks

For years, I've thought the long dark streaks I see on roof shingles was due to stains form trees. Then I notices stains where there were no trees. So I thought perhaps it came from rusted staples. Then I saw too many to make that the root cause.

Someone now tells me "heat". That seems questionable since the patterns I see don't support irregular heat under the same roof.

Just what does cause these dark streaks draining down from under shingles as though they are leaking something dark. I've seen it on old and not so old roofs.

Reply to
John Gregory

As Trajen's reference sez, it could also be algae. Tom

Reply to
tom

In a straight line? Then bleach is the simple solution (6% prox)?

Reply to
John Gregory

And I've seen colonies of lichen(sp?), also. Tom

Reply to
tom

Mold, mildew, algae, and lichens will form on the roof in areas that are last to dry after a rain, usually slightly low areas oriented along the water flow lines on the roof. Bleach may or may not be good for the roof, depending on your roof material. They make an algicide/mildewcide with zinc in it, that you dilute with water then spray on using a pump sprayer or hose end sprayer. I use a zinc strip at the top of the roof, that dissolves a tiny bit every rain. Seems to work, and spray is kind of messy, and likely more toxic after runoff. Google for the word association "zinc strip" and "roof" and "algae", all together. Check both Groups as well as the Web google.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Reply to
Trajen

Most black mold algae streaks on roofs can be removed with a product called Shingle Shield. I believe you can find this product at

leaftite