Sheetrock verses Paneling Question.

This is Turtle.

100+ year old Cypress Board wall looks ugley ! I quote my wife and friends wife.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

this is Turtle.

At Southerlands 1/2" sheet rock here $6.29 and 1/4' sheetrock $5.84 everyday price.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

I call the store before hand and got them to split it for me before i got there and made 1/4" sheet rock.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

this summer the electric warehouse was wanting to dump some 12-2 Romex with nake ground for 1,000 Spool for $87.00. i pick up 2 spools which will last me about 2 years.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

there maybe difference between wholesale and retail at low's or home cheap-0.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If your wife is just tired of looking at hundred year old cypress boards then when don't you just get a few rolls of white contact paper and put it on like wall paper and then when your wife comes to her senses and says,"WHAT DID I DO!", nothing will be lost. You can just peel off the paper and wash off the glue and oil up those nice cypress planks.

Reply to
Kathy

It takes hours for the workers to use utility knives to split the sheets in half. They they have to coat the bare sides with duct tape from top to bottom. This stuff is often used by rednecks in their trailer houses for several reasons.

  1. If they use 1/2" drywall, the rooms will beome too small for the fat wives to enter.
  2. Rednecks like the look of the duct tape, and being they are always drunk, they can not "paper" their walls with ducttape and get it straight.
  3. Thinner walls mean that their shotgun shells travel further when shot thru the wall, and make it easier to get that "skwrill" for dinner.
  4. Rednecks dont want to do alot of work. I/2" drywall is just too heavy fo them.
  5. Thinner drywall means using shorter, thus cheaper nails.

  1. Thinner drywall bends better. Since the walls in redneck houses are often made of freshly cut trees held together with duct tape, old tires, and bailing wire, the drywall needs to bend to fit the corrked walls.

  2. Thinner walls mean it's easier for rednecks to punch holes in the walls when they have domestic violence battles and want to punch the neighbor in the next door trailer without leaving the house.

8 Thinner drywall means less debries to clean up when rednecks burn down their trailer court.

  1. Thinner drywall makes it easier to locate leaks in the roof and walls.

  1. Thinner drywall makes it easier to eavesdrop on the neighbors during sex.

  2. Thinner drywall saves on electricity, because you can shut off your tv and listen to the neighbors tv,

  1. It's always easier to stash a dead body behind the wall when the walls are thin.

I know all of this from personal experience !!!

Reply to
redneck69

Paint it. Stain it. Who needs drywall, you havnt figured in finishing it . Figure 4-6x the cost of the drywall, it is work.

Reply to
m Ransley

You must be a candy ass if you have trouble holding 1/2" sheet rock while your buddy screws it to the wall. I just finished sheetrocking the walls in a 12x21 basement rec room, with 1/2" sheetrock, _by_myself_, in two afternoons.

And I'm not exactly Arnold Schwarzenegger, either: 5'9", 160 lb, size 42 suit.

Doug Miller

He means that to do paneling properly, you need to put drywall up first, behind it, and panel over the drywall, instead of just fastening the panels to bare studs.

Doug Miller

No, this was retail, at Home Depot. $30.90, to be exact. Same price at Lowes, and a dollar higher at Menard's.

Have a look here:

Doug Miller

1/4" is kind of a specialty type of drywall, like the WR and firecode, so it is often higher than 1/2", which is most commonly used. 1/4" is only good for covering old plaster or drywall, (and for bending purposes like barrel vaults) and is way too flimsy for direct stud attachment.

Try pricing 1/2" - I've always found it to be cheaper than paneling.

Reply to
Bob(but not that Bob)