Sheetrock verses Paneling Question.

Page 2 of 2

You must be a candy ass if you have trouble holding 1/2" sheet rock while your buddy screws it to the wall. I just finished sheetrocking the walls in a 12x21 basement rec room, with 1/2" sheetrock, _by_myself_, in two afternoons.
And I'm not exactly Arnold Schwarzenegger, either: 5'9", 160 lb, size 42 suit.

Dang! Last week, I bought 1/2" drywall for $5.64 a sheet at Lowe's... You need to find a better supplier.

This is Turtle.
Lows in Alexandria, louisiana had the 1/2" sheet rock a little less than $9.00 a sheet today. Southerlands had it for $6.29.
TURTLE

Quarter inch usually sells for about 40% more than half inch. Less costs more. WHY?
I don't think my local HD or Slows stocks it.
The local Slows does have some paneling at $10.
If you can find a drywall supply company you might be able to get a better deal on the 1/4" but it will still cost more the 1/2".
Colbyt

It may be a specialty. 3/8" is common and is about $6 a sheet.
Do you have 16" or 24" centers, if 24 go 5/8" minumum.

This is Turtle.
I have a solid cypress board inside wall laying the sheet rock on. The centers are just enough of space to nail the other 2 x 4 stud in place. Looks to be a 22 oz. Bud Light can spacing between the wall studs. Now it could be a 32 oz. Miller Lite Can spacing between studs in the wall but no sure.
TURTLE

This is Turtle.
I went to Home Cheap-0, Low's, and Southerlands and found no paneling under $10.00 a sheet of any thing cheap type. i went with 1/4" sheetrock at $5.84 a sheet Regular Price at Southerlands. 1/2" sheet rock was $6.29 a sheet .
TURTLE

This is Turtle
Southerlands had the 1/2" and the 1/4" at about the same price. 1/4'' $5.84 and the 1/2" for $6.29 . Low's and home Depot was just off the wall with the price compaired to Southerlands.
TURTLE
If your wife is just tired of looking at hundred year old cypress boards then when don't you just get a few rolls of white contact paper and put it on like wall paper and then when your wife comes to her senses and says,"WHAT DID I DO!", nothing will be lost. You can just peel off the paper and wash off the glue and oil up those nice cypress planks.
Paint it. Stain it. Who needs drywall, you havnt figured in finishing it . Figure 4-6x the cost of the drywall, it is work.
TURTLE wrote:

1/4" is kind of a specialty type of drywall, like the WR and firecode, so it is often higher than 1/2", which is most commonly used.
1/4" is only good for covering old plaster or drywall, (and for bending purposes like barrel vaults) and is way too flimsy for direct stud attachment.
Try pricing 1/2" - I've always found it to be cheaper than paneling.