Sheet metal quality

Thanks to all re my trunk replacement questions. I can find everything I need locally or on-line.

Is the gauge of the galvanized steel important? The ductwork is up in the ceiling and will be wrapped with sheetrock. I saw 26 gauge online for about $50.00 for a 4 foot 22"x8" section. Is heavier gauge quieter? Is 26gauge standard?

Also, other than a special tool to cut the takeoffs (which I can rent), is there anything else I am going to need other than sealant and snips??

Thanks again.

Reply to
Jack

Hi, Duct tape(aluminum one) works good.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

$50.00 sounds high for a short straight duct section. Try several air conditioning shops and sheet metal places. You may be able to do better and get longer sections. I think 26 gauge is normal for residential. If you want quiet you can get duct liner or duct wrap.

In addition to tin snips and aviation snips you will probably also need a duct crimper. I have also found BX cutting pliers useful for cutting sheet metal.

Reply to
John Grabowski

If you can get insulated duct, it will be quieter than non-insulated, if that is important to you.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Don't forget duct screws, and maybe some duct sealant, and probably straps to secure everything in place.

When I re-did some of the stuff we had in the basement, I found that a metal-cutting blade in a jigsaw did a really neat job - but I agree,

*good* aviation snips are handy to have (mine are stuck in storage overseas and paying for a second set didn't agree with me :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Hi, If jig saw is used. Protect eyes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Earplugs don't hurt either.

Reply to
clare

Hopefully that was obvious, but yes :-) (I actually cut some long runs with a cutting disc in the angle grinder as it's a lot quicker - and same deal, make sure you wear some form of eye protection)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Unless you stick them way up your nose. ;)

I went to way too many rock concerts in my younger years... which is useful in a way as it means power tools don't sound way too loud...

Reply to
Jules