Shampoo box / shower niche

while we're discussing shower niches.........
Does anyone make a "retrofit" niche / shampoo box that you can "rim seal" into / onto a recess cut into an existing shower? Or is this just asking for problems?
I had a shower redone about 20 years ago.....floated / hot mopped, the whole thing but before the practicality of the shampoo box was know to me.
I'm having repair work done in a different bath & wanted to know if there is an easy simple way to add a shampoo box.
This is an old house & the shower stall is pretty tight ~32" square. Don't really like a projected shelf but maybe I could be convinced. :)
cheers Bob