Seventeen Pounds

Page 2 of 2
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I don't think they're lonely either. With the exception of lions, all cats are solitary critters. They're quite content to be alone. That doesn't mean, as you said, that they're not glad to see you. Heck, Dewey (book by the same name) even took to waving "good morning" to the first arriving library staffer. (Amazon.com product link shortened)30980986&sr=8-1
On Sat 03 Jan 2009 04:12:33a, HeyBub told us...

Aw, that's sweet! Of our 5 cats, 2 are females and 3 are males. Both the females (the oldest and youngest of the whole bunch) are quite aloof and can't be bothered with the other 3. One of the three males is older than the other two. When the latter were introduced to the household as kittens, the older male took over their "care", and the 3 are inseparable. It's not uncommon to see 2 of the 3 or all 3 playing or sleeping together.
--
Wayne Boatwright
HeyBub wrote:

Like I need an excuse? Eff up my body chemistry with expen$ive shots, just for the opportunity to spend even more money providing a home for an ungrateful animal I may see a few hours a week? I think not. And I say that is somebody who LIKES cats, and grew up in house with them. The allergies didn't come along until late teenage years, when I somehow got sensitized to cats. Scratch tests, which they often insist on before the shots, sometimes make you allergic to stuff you were not allergic to before. Not an urban legend- I've know people that it happened to. One of the things that made me decide avoiding the source was the simplest cure.

Litter boxes are disgusting, and one of the best arguments against 'inside only' cats. Yes, people, they DO stink to high heaven. Your nose is just numb from overexposure. Basic sanitation keeps the vermin under control with no problem, thank you. I sublet an apartment once from someone who had cats. A month later, I realized the place was infested with fleas. Had to do some nasty chemical warfare to clear that up, not to mention a lot of tedious cleaning of my stuff before I could move elsewhere.

Companionship and 'needing to be needed' does have therapeutic value, agreed. But a cat or dog as a surrogate child or spouse is just sad. I assume you have read the studies that claim house animals suffer from arrested social development, and are stuck at the dog or cat equivalent of about a fifth-grader?

Dream on. There is little more expensive than a 'free' kitten or puppy. Although, as a kid, we sometimes built multi-level kitten mazes out of the scrap wood pile, and tried to guess what hole they would come out of.

don't look like they are having much fun. My sister has one that tries to crawl into the fireplace every time they build a fire. They think he just wants to get warm. I think he wants to end it all. Like I said before, yes, inside-only cats live longer. As to feral cats, infant mortality skews the numbers low- if they survive to adulthood, they can easily last a lot longer. I think there is a happy medium, where you let a cat have some outside time, and make it crap outside, but make it want to come back inside by treating it nice and feeding it. Basically, unless you have a large-enough yard, and don't live near heavy traffic, you really aren't set up to have a cat. People in apartments or on tiny urban lots really can't provide a proper range for a cat, much less a dog.

and it should be a breach of professional ethics for vets to offer that as a service. Would you like having your fingers and toes lopped off at the first joint?
Like I said, I LIKE cats and dogs. I like them too much to impose my world on them.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

If the doc insists on a scratch test, tell him "no" and ask him for a referral to a doctor that takes into account the patient's desires.
I used to put all manner of strange - and possibly hurtful - concoctions into my body for the unrequited pleasure of being with my wife; she insisted I eat what she prepared. Part of the deal was that I spend enormous sums to provide a home for an ungrateful animal I only saw a few hours a week.
I can appreciate your evaluation of the stupidity of the arrangement.

There are alternatives for the fastidious. One is "LitterRobot." I've got one and it works swell. Another is to train the kitty to use the commode.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:13:10 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

I strongly agree. If you want to domesticate a small animal it should be in a humans care and control. Dog, Cat, Mouse, Rat, Raccoon, Birds what ever once you domesticate it you are responsible for it's care. Never again should it become someone else's pest. Love it, or find it another loving home, or put it down mercifully.

I had my car detailed once...
--
Steve
southiowa

I set a Hav-A-Hart to trap a groundhog. Instead, the next day I found a possum stuffed completely inside the trap with no room. The possum was square-shaped with the fur coming out all sides of the trap. I opened the trap from both sides but the animal was stuck. I pushed his butt with a toilet plunger, he came out of the trap on the other side then quietly walked away. Came across to me like a stupid animal.
Phisherman wrote:

Jeeze! That must have been one huge opossum, I thought they were about the same size as a groundhog...
'Course I've only seen one groundhog in the fur. While visiting the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania Sanctuary and Nature trails, I was introduced to Harriet, their semi-pet groundhog. I told the executive director that we didn't have groundhogs in my part of Texas, but we did have armadillos.
"Tell ya what," I offered, "I'll trade you an armadillo for a groundhog!"
"Good God NO!" shuddered the Audubon guy, "Can you imagine what would happen to the granny-ladies walking our bird-watching trails if an armadillo waddled out in front of them?"

An armadillo is just a possum on the half shell. They are more of a crock pot thing.