Seven most outrageous HOA rules

Page 2 of 5

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:59:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Happens all the time. I've seen it. It took hours to transfer a dead prisoner before the morning breakfast feast.
Lt: "Call the Warden, call the Captain, dial the speed dial or some such.

Maybe, but making the biggest purchase of your life, I'd take the extra time. If the HOA can't produce a copy inside of an hour, I'd pack my bags out of there.
There was mention of this happening in the past too. IMO, the HOA rules should be up front and something to brag about, not to hide in shame.

I lived in a subdivision with a HOA for thirty years and it worked out great but I had obtained a copy of the HOA rules BEFORE I put down the down payment to have the house build. There was NEVER any doubt that would get and study the rules before I put money into the home. I had numerous occasions to work with the HOA over those 30 years and have nothing but good experiences. The reason was simple, the rules were well thought out to protect the property values, provide needed services, and still allow the freedom to express your personality with your home.
I have several friends who haven't had the same experience and every one of them failed to get a copy of the HOA rules before making their purchase. Almost all of them would not have purchased had they even done a quick scan of their HOA Rules. One HOA had totally defined every single aspect of the exterior landscaping down to what plants could be planted and where. Another HOA had rules against even having a RV parked anywhere for more than 8 hours. They also restricted any boats or other recreational items from being on the property. You couldn't even keep a boat in your garage. The friend who bought there couldn't even have their parents come to visit because they traveled in an RV. He also didn't read the HOA rules until after he moved in. What made it even worse was after several issues with the HOA he decided to sell and move. Its been over two years and he can't find anyone who wants to live in that neighborhood.
Not getting a copy of the HOA rules and reading them top to bottom is about like buying a house and not looking out the back window and seeing the sewer plant.
They must enjoy being victimized, then?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They should not have agreed to the purchase until they had been given a copy of the rules and had time to evaluate them.

Please see my post about extenuating circumstances.

I saw it and I stand by my statement, you either get the information up front before signing or you have only yourself to blame. There are no acceptable extenuating circumstances that can warrant making a commitment of that magnatude without ALL of the information.

re: "I saw it and I stand by my statement,..."
Ah...then you missed my point.
re: "...you either get the information up front before signing or you have only yourself to blame."
Nothing I said removes the blame from the buyer nor did I ever intend to. I was not making excuses for them; I was simply stating a fact of life.
It was implied that they never should have closed without obtaining the HOA rules and I countered with "maybe they *had* to close for reasons unknown to us."
It's easy to watch from afar and say "They never should have closed" when for all we know they knew the possible consequences of closing without seeing the rules but circumstances forced them to close anyway.
"Dad's on his death bed, Mom's got Alzheimer's and they need us nearby *now*. Screw protocol and screw what the CC&R says, we'll live with whatever the HOA throws at us."

No, I got your point but I am sick of watching everyone make excuses for all the bad decisions that people are making and then expecting someone else to make it right for them.

a stupid and uninformed decision?...yes it is possible but very unlikely. More like they took one look at the place, saw some feature they thought they just couldn't live without and yelled "DAMN THE TORPEDOES ... FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

Then they will have to live with the results and keep their mouths shut.

re: " Then they will have to live with the results and keep their mouths shut"
Exactly.
However, I gotta ask...Are you following the same thread that I am?
This arc of the discussion started with a simple statement by Steve B.
Somebody he knows bought a unit without getting a copy of the rules. That's all he said.
Nowhere do I see anything about people complaining or "making excuses for their own mistakes".
What did you read that made you say "Then they will have to live with the results and keep their mouths shut."?
As I said earlier "for all we know they knew the possible consequences of closing without seeing the rules" and are now happily (or perhaps unhappily) living within those rules with nary a complaint.
You are jumping on them (and anryone else who may have done it) without knowing any the facts of this (or any other) situation.

This is one of those "If the shoe fits then wear it!" circumstances. I am clearly stating that to NOT obtain a copy of the HOA rules and bylaws prior to making the commitment to purchase a home is just plain wrong and that anyone who would do so only has themselves to blame for it. Rather than complain, take cases to court, or simply live with the consequences whouldn't it be more prudent to insist on obtaining and reading all HOA rules prior to spending your money? I fully concur that many HOA's have some totally stupid and uncalled for rules but that apparently is what the residents desire for their neighborhood and anyone considering moving into the neighborhood should know them going in and be fully prepared to accept them...all! Hell, I even checked the city codes before purchasing my current home to make sure that there were no rules that I couldn't accept. The only problem with local city laws is that they can change at the whim of the city council without a vote of the residents. Most HOA's require a 2/3's majority to change the rules.
Buyer Beware!

I give up.
I fully concur that many HOA's have some totally stupid and uncalled for rules but that apparently is what the residents desire for their neighborhood and anyone considering moving into the neighborhood should know them going in and be fully prepared to accept them...all!
I would say that a majority, that is more than 1/2 of the buyers, either know someone already who lives in the community, or does some homework in investigating whether or not the HOA is a mellow place or a gulag. That's just a guess, but from what I've seen, people are attracted to nice places through friends, contacts, and word of mouth. People who run in, and sign in twenty minutes are the same type who buy bridges as an investment strategy.
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
wrote

[...]
REDUX:
FYI, FWIW, and all that ............ the couple loves their condo, the neighbors are a nice mix of working people and semi-retired people, the HOA keeps up the grounds very nicely, and their CURRENT board is more of a California Liberal than SS Nazi flavor.
But yes, it could have been just the opposite. The CC&Rs that they finally got were reasonable. BUT, that has a lot to do with the governing board and the population mix, as those can be tweaked by added rules by the persons in power once the juggernaut launches.
Also FYI, FWIW, and all that, ......... they DID speak to some residents prior to buying, so didn't go into it totally blind.
Oren has stated that in his town, that currently buyers MUST receive the CC&R's before closing. Now, Oren is a smart man, so I'll take him at his word.
BUT, just for giggles and grins, I shall ask my boss, a HOA reserve specalist licensed by the State of Nevada Department of Business and Industry just exactly what the facts are. Maybe they changed from the time of when my friends bought, and now. Or maybe, like so many HOA related items, it is the way it is perceived, and not actually what the law is, and there needs to be a legal interpretation of the law.
BTW, Oren and I are speaking of the laws for the same town, that being Las Vegas.
Since Florida initiated the HOA concept, most of the landmark decisions regarding them originate there, then ripple through the nation. The law requiring HOAs to have a reserve study done every five years was instituted by Florida, then subsequently initiated by the State of Nevada. It is not a requirement in all states. I shall ask the boss just how many do require it now. We have done HOA studies in Utah, mostly for Nevada based property management companies, but there is no requirement under Utah law YET. The two we did were 1,100 acre golf course communities, and there was no one in Utah who could do them. BTW, the 1,100 acres was just the housing portions, and had nothing to do with ANY of the golf course portion. I do hope that changes soon, as it would give us a ton of work closer to home. Every one of them would need to be done, and that would be about two years of work.
Just some facts from someone in the biz.
FWIW. I'll get back to you on the topics mentioned as soon as I talk with the boss. He's on a cruise right now.
Steve
read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at: http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
BobR wrote: (snip)

Circumstances like that are what rental units are for. If I needed sleeping quarters in a hurry, and had family obligations that would suck up all my time and rational thought-power till they worked themselves out, I'd find a house-sitter, or a tenant, and store most of my stuff, and RENT someplace on the other end for the first few months or even a year.
--
aem sends...

are what rental units are for. If I needed

since 2007. Last year, after 5 years of this, he considered, for a nano-second, buying a condo. Nope. WAAAAY too much drama and too many rules. Since he is able to work from home 2-3 weeks a month on the current contract, it's easier to rent a small/cheap shit-box near the site. Bottom line is it has to be cheaper than a decent hotel 5 days a month. Plus...the shit-box has a kitchen.

Been there and done that for two years and it worked out OK. Even after we sold our house and started looking for a new residence we lived in the shit can apartment for 6 months and took our time finding the right home.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:01:08 -0700 (PDT), BobR

Well put.

wrote Re Re: Seven most outrageous HOA

Hell, people buy crappy cars, boats, planes, shoes, lawnmowers, you name it, they buy it. Every day.