Setting a toilet

When setting a toilet, should the bottom of the closet flange be even with the floor?
The toilet should be level regardless of the floor. Plaster of Paris is often used to set it on. It dries quickly and is rock hard.
David Starr wrote:

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:36:20 -0500, Stubby

It's level. I'm wondering about the height of the floor flange.
David Starr wrote:

If you mean should the flange sit on the finished flooring, yes. If the flange is just a bit lower than the finished floor you can use a thicker wax ring.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/bath/article/0,16417,250406-4,00.html http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/plumbing/plum_5.htm

That's what I needed. Thanks
David Starr wrote:

There is a new replacement for the wax ring on the market. It is a plastic sorta pipe withi a couple flexible (sorta) flanges that inserts down the floor flange fitting. glues to the toilet bottom but nothing else is needed. I just replaced my toilet using one. It is one major improvement over wax rings. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name of it. My neighbor gave me one so I didn't even need to shop for it.
Harry K

I'm going to have to look for one of those - sounds a LOT easier to install than the wax ring. Thanks