Service upgrade without telling the power company

Page 2 of 2

wrote in message

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 16:26:29 -0700, "Eigenvector"

imho:
Maybe the the customer didn't want to pay for a voluntary inspection.
Business rule: The Customer Is Always Right!
My Rule: I get to choose who my customers are.
I would have moved on, especially if it was AL wiring(which I'm pretty sure it was), and no third party inspection was done. A bad client can screw you.
later,
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

How do we know for sure it was not permitted? I know of a couple of electricians that call the inspector, tell him what they are doing, end of story. He may or may not inspect on a small job like the service upgrade. (yes, in the scheme of things, a service upgrade is a small simple job) They are reputable, experienced professionals that only do things to code.
Eigenvector wrote:

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that insurance companies will do what they can to weasel out of paying claims in the event of a fire. For purposes of insurance, I personally would make sure that I have a receipt for the work with a letterhead showing the company name, an indication that they are licensed and an exact description of the work performed. My bet is that would satisfy any insurance company inspector. I doubt if the insurance inspector would go so far as to look for a permit or inspection report, etc.
Another possible situation that comes to mind is if you happened to rent the house 20 or 30 years later and had a fire and got sued by the rentors. If you had a receipt from a licensed electrician you would probably be OK. Otherwise, I suppose you could be in trouble.
One thing that one needs to keep in mind when doing any electrical upgrades is that even if the work is done absolutely correctly, you are not necessarily shielded from potential problems in the future unless you have the proper paperwork.

Do you really think they will jail you for not having paperwork 30 years later?

without
I was told once that If the service loading was increased, such as by adding a heat pump and hot tub, without notifying the power company, that the homeowner could be held financially responsible for damage caused by overloading the power companies transformer or other equipment. When they get notified of big increases, they will upgrade the transformer if needed.
Bob

years ago that was true, now the poer companies dont care and in fact let transformers overheat repeatedly till they burn out....
preventive maintence isnt part of their operation anyomore...
just recently they are talking of upgrading again along with a 20% $$ power increase

years ago that was true, now the poer companies dont care and in fact let transformers overheat repeatedly till they burn out....
preventive maintence isnt part of their operation anyomore...
just recently they are talking of upgrading again along with a 20% $$ power increase

Or more likely wait until their neighbors start complaining to the power co that the lights dim periodically. (when the hot tub heat kicks in)
-- Silly sig to prevent isp ad

Mosty people seriously overestimate what power they are using. If you averaged 60a your bill would a thousand bucks a month.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

funny an average of 60a rating in my world comes to near a half million a month
Tater wrote:

No, 60Amp @ 240V, 24x7, is about 10,000KWHr per month.
So if the base rate is ~ 10cents per KWHr, that is a grand a month.
Speedy Jim wrote:

arg, I forgot to convert Wh to Kwh