Serious wildlife question

Page 2 of 2

dgk wrote:

Someone who was in pain and willing to try anything to find relief.

Someone who was hungry.
Add pictures here
✖

Hmm. Records and statistics were kept chronicling the millions of people who died from ingesting tree bark, yet at the same time in history they did not know about acetylsalicylic acid? It smells of Snopes to me. But then, with the liberal mentality of today, it is easily believable for one to conclude that statistics were discovered far before herbal remedies.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 28, 9:06 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
aw.ca> wrote:

Drunk or sober...they're a striking bird!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/719882067_14dbb032f8.jpg
bob
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:35:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

A beautiful bird. The first picture I've seen of one.
Add pictures here
✖

Sounds like good, cheap (HA!) entertainment. For both parties.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:22:55 -0400, Frank

Or can you just tape paper or cardboard to the window at turkey eye level so there is no reflection.
Those illegal signs stuck with wires into the ground would be useful for this. I keep a supply of htem.

I had a cardinal that would fly into the 2nd floor window 5 or 10 times, then go to the other side of hte house and do the same thing there for a while. Many days, for several consecutive years. I just realized that he hasn't done that this year. He's probabably in the hospital with multiple concussions.
Add pictures here
✖

I don't think pecking from a turkey will break tempered sliding glass doors panes. Tempered glass is easier broken at the side edge. It just takes a scratch.
I have seen where golf balls have broken them. Somewhere I have some pictures (cell phone quality) where an owl flew into a slider (Andersen). When the bird hit the glass, it KNOCKED all the desert dust off him. We could see the outline of it's feathers on the glass.
Turkey season?
Add pictures here
✖

I found the pictures. What you see is DUST on the glass, not the bird.
Owl dust on glass:
http://i41.tinypic.com/nbf69w.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/258477s.jpg
Best from the cell phone camera!
http://i41.tinypic.com/23lguqh.jpg
Add pictures here
✖

That's the dust from the wings! Pretty funny.
Add pictures here
✖

the turkey is attacking his REFLECTION in the glass,it's a "rival" to him. turn on a light behind it or put up some paper to block the reflection,and he'll go away.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It all depends on the turkey. Some will grasp that it is not another turkey in the window quicker than others, but some will not and just keep going at it. Birds of the same species have very different reactions to reflections. And it may have something to do with the time of year related to whether or not it is mating season. During that time, their behavior changes drastically, something like pubertyhood in humans.
If this bird makes a practice of this, try taping some newspaper or a towel to the outside so he/she does not get a reflection. They might just go away, or be replaced with another one.
The birds are huge, and I do believe they could come through on a bird strike. We live in the country, and have had some pretty hard strikes by some large birds, and were just waiting for the sound of breaking glass. They do leave an amusing feather dust print on the windows. Sometimes it kills them.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:32:06 -0700, "Steve B"

You'd think evolution would have weeded them out millions of years ago.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 19:04:59 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Interesting question! I found a small cone-shaped (about 1.4" wide on the outside of the glass, 3/4" on the inside) chunk missing out of a large picture window last year. I always figured I'd just caught a stone that I'd missed before mowing - but you've got me wondering now.
We've seen woodpeckers in the flower bed immediately in front of that window a few times, and the hole's at perfect "beak height" (although, of course, it's also a good height for a stone kicked up by the mower :-)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:42:12 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

Sounds like a strike from *inside* the house. I've never noticed a bigger chunk missing on the side towards the impact.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:32:03 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Typo! I was a fumble-fingers this morning, and my 1/4" came out as 1.4"... :-)
It was definitely an outside strike, and most likely a rock thrown up by the mower, but the thread's interesting as I'd not considered a bird/ reflection problem before (we found it in spring last year, presumably when it's mating season and male birds are most territorial). Whether a woodpecker could break glass, I don't know, but they must pack quite a punch.
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖

The "Hertzian cone" happens in a piece of glass when it is struck by a BB. The small hole is the side the projectile came from, and the large hole is on the other side. This principle is used in percussion flaking to create arrowheads and other tools by indigenous peoples. As a former user of a Red Ryder BB gun, I know all about what BBs can do to glass, and how you get a nice cone out of a bottle base.
A piece of gravel would have to be very small, and traveling at a high speed to do this, and may not have the mass. A larger piece would leave a round hole, like a bullet hole, unless it was safety glass, then it would shatter.
Interesting to find out the real cause.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/28/2010 6:04 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Just the other night on the news they had a story about a turkey that flew through a second story office window. It apparently wasn't badly hurt. Somebody caught it and it was to be released in a wilderness area.
This was not a patio door, this was a single pane glass window.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖

They definitely got the mass to do some damage. I watched some go up into a roosting tree of great height. They took off without much of a run, and shot up into the trees with a lot more ease than I thought they would have.
I remember the WKRP in Cincinnati episode, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly". This after they tossed some domesticated turkeys out of a helicopter.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖