Self leveling compound: HELP!!!

Hi,

Perhaps an easy one, don't know really: just finishing off building my first ever extension and I laid some Febfloor self leveling compound which went quite well but due to the limited time you have to lay it before it goes off, I could only get 3 bags mixed and down with enough time to still work it and some parts of it aren't as level as i wanted and it isn't as high as I wanted.

The question is, is it possible to lay a second layer of self leveling on top of the first? It won't be higher than what they recommend on the packet (5-6mm), but they said you're not supposed to do it cos it won't bond, or some other reason I can't remember. I know I could grout it out before tiling, but i'd like it a little higher and smoother before I do that. Is there any way of doing it which will leave me a good solid floor??

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
blackspaven

I've used similar before, but did the opposite. I needed to sand down.

I can't see you having much of a problem, but as a precaution, scoring the surface for more bonding might make sense.

Reply to
ng_reader

You can do it. Use a bonding agent recomended by the manufacturer of your self-leveling mix. You can find it in your home improvement store. It goes by names such as Ad-mix, bonding additive, milk, latex ad-mix, cement fortifier...

Roll it on to the first layer you poured, when it gets tacky, pour on the second layer of self-leveling compound.

Reply to
reader