Security System?

What type of security system you installed in your home.Because i have an ADT security system and i want to change that.What you say about the CCTV security system is it best than the ADT or any other security system that you have?

Reply to
Robin27

I would view ADT not as a security system, but as a security service monitoring company. They do install eqpt, but AFAIK, nothing they have is unique. Their eqpt uses similar components to the other systems that are out there, eg control panel, motion sensors, door/window sensors. These major companies usually have deals where the system with some limited number of components is free, provided you sign a monitoring contract for X years at an inflated rate.

What kind of system you need depends entirely on your requirements, location, what your needs are. A CCTV system and a monitored alarm are two different and complimentary systems. Among the issues you need to decide are whether the alarm is monitored or you're just going to rely on sirens. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. And if you go with monitored, then is it via dial-up, internet, or cell, or a combination. For basic monitoring, if you do with one on the many companies that are not the "ADT"s of the word, you can get it for $10 a month. There are also companies out there that sell DIY kits that include a new panel, keypad, some sensors, etc for about $175. One advantage to that is that you will have ALL the codes to be able to add/delete sensors, switch monitoring services, etc on your own. With most systems installed by alarm companies, they keep the installer codes and won't give them to you come hell or high water. That can render the system you have worthless if you want to switch companies. And that keeps most people locked into that service company.

I doubt ADT will give you the codes to your system so that you can use another monitoring service. However, if you look around at monitoring companies, you will find ones that have a widget that will redirect panels that use dialup. It's a widget that intercepts the dialing and in turn dials it's own number to the alternate security company.

Reply to
trader4

Have you read all the small print in any paperwork you signed for your current system?

Reply to
Bill

I recently purchased a PiSector system from Amazon.

Fairly easy to install the gap detectors on doors and windows. I have it se t up to call my cell phone if the alarm is tripped while I'm away. I have t he local police number in my cell phone, so if I get a call from the securi ty system, I call the police and ask them to investigate.

Reply to
Pavel314

set up to call my cell phone if the alarm is tripped while I'm away. I have the local police number in my cell phone, so if I get a call from the secu rity system, I call the police and ask them to investigate.- Hide quoted te xt -

Another question he should ask is what discounts his insurance company may have for alarm systems and what the requirements are to get those discounts. Allstate gives a discount, but only for monitored systems. A friend has another carrier and they give a discount and apparently don't care if it's monitored.

Reply to
trader4