sears all conditioner

hello, i asked at this question at alt.hvac and they directed me towards this site to ask. i now own a home with a sears all conditioner. i have never heard of it and neither has a furncae i talked to. the thing is huge and does the air conditioning and heating all inthe house. has anyone every dealt wit this and can it be fixed if iit ever gets broken. thank you ahead of time. thank you. d_tarn
d_tarn wrote:

I've never heard of a sears all conditioner either.
d_tarn wrote:

I have not heard of one, but I am sure it is just someone's heatpump re-badged for Sears.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Sears re-badges the Goodman line normally. Now..if its older than 20 years old, its probably an old Consolodated Brand unit...and you dont want that thing in your home anyway.
D > i asked at this question at alt.hvac and they directed me towards this D > site to ask. i now own a home with a sears all conditioner. i have D > never heard of it and neither has a furncae i talked to. the thing is D > huge and does the air conditioning and heating all inthe house. has D > anyone every dealt wit this and can it be fixed if iit ever gets D > broken. thank you ahead of time. thank you.
Presume there are a few typing errors up there so is the "sears all conditioner" a "Sears Air Conditioner"? If it's "huge" and does the cooling and heating then my guess is it is a heat pump. It can be fixed, presumably by Sears Service (1-800-4MY-HOME) as it is their unit.
My parents are on their second heat pump (first one installed around 1972). The main component that failed was the belt driving the squirrel cage. Dad found out a certain (car's) fan belt was the same as the one used by the manufacturer. Keep a spare on hand; replace with the circuit breaker off -- you don't want the unit starting up on you!!
Another item to watch with heat pumps is the auxiliary heater(s). On the original model they were electric elements; presume the same on current models. Resistance heat is _very_ expensive. As the thermostat had a light to indicate when the aux.heat was on we rigged up an audible alarm.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Definition: Terminal Illness -- Sickness at airport
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971