Sealing bare wood

A couple of benches on a roof top are bare wood, installed some time ago so they are weathered now. What's the best oil/sealer to use on them? I don't need any color, but would like to slow further weathering. It's important that nothing comes off on clothing, of course.
I had heard that Thompson's, which I had used in the past, had wax in it and therefore wasn't the best to use. Why would that be?
I realize that the application will be ongoing, but this is ok.
--
charles

On Apr 27, 12:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.netttt (Charles Bishop) wrote:

Ask for a penetrating stain when you go to the paint store.

Because the wax comes off on your clothing, and the Thompsons only lasts a year or two. It quite literally evaporates in my experience.
I believe the traditional finish for this is spar varnish. Has a moderate level of UV protection, and you can layer it on quite thick.
--
Chris Lewis,

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:23:55 +0000, Chris Lewis wrote:

A traditional, cheap timber preservative for centuries has been raw linseed oil. Cut back 50/50 with kerosene for the first couple of coats. Of course you will have to wait a while for it to soak in before sitting on it. Otherwise use an acrylic decking oil.
--
Bill
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com /

Raw linseed oil will essentially never fully cure, even outside so would not recommend for this application where a non-staining finish is paramount.
For old wood w/ least amount of pretreatment (the oaxalic acid, scrub, etc., routine), I'd second Edwin's recommendation of Penofin.

I use Penofin oil on outdoor furniture. Had UV protection, easy to apply, lasts for a couple of years. A good lumber yard or paint store should have it.