Sealcoat a new driveway????

That's what they said after the '29 stock market crash.

Reply to
HeyBub

well its not that recovery might be in 2099, but not likely anytime soon

most with retirement savings sawe it shrink by 1/2 and if recovery begins inflation will make savings worth even less.

the after effects will take a generation to disappear

Reply to
bob haller

Yeah, except the ones leaping from tall buildings :-\\

Reply to
Oren

That's no longer an option: Modern buildings have few windows that can open.

Reply to
HeyBub

In article , aemeijers wrote: ... ...

^^^^ ^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

To all in alt.home.repair: when's the last time you heard ANY driveway company say OTHER than exactly that?

David

Reply to
David Combs

In article , bob haller wrote: ... ...

And off the driveway itself, at the first hard rain.

Guy across the street uses that stuff (junk? HD! Big black can, more than a foot in diameter, maybe 15in high.

I once lucked out in meeting a guy who worked for a repaving company; did big parking-lots, special mix of sand and this and that, trucked in from Pa (to New Rochelle, NY). Had a big trick with big tank on back, looked like typical gasoline-truck. Lasted maybe four years before we had to do it again.

Unfortunately, they caught him and fired him. So current I am at a loss at what to do.

David

Reply to
David Combs

I heard one guys opinion, an interview, where he said "recover to do like WHAT?". That we no longer manufacture much anymore, "race to the bottom" in getting costs down (hmmm -- wouldn't some countries call that "treason", shutting down factories, shipping them overseas, and teaching THOSE people (obvious potential enemies!) all the technology, all so that "we" (guess who) have higher earnings.

We had a VERY nice run after WW2 -- we and the Germans had bombed everyone to hell, hardly more than 10 or 20 bombs had hit our shores (was Alaska even a state then? NO! When I was growing up (50's), we had 48 states on the flag!

FINALLY, they started to recover.

I recall Japanese transistor-radios (miracle of tight packaging!) in late 50's, and their EXCELLENT cameras (early 60's); German cars, cameeras, ...

But we were still the source of machine-tools, etc.

Then came the 70's, and the gap was narrowing.

Now we live on borrowed money, they say, and get away with it ONLY because the dollar is the world's reserve currency -- and how long can THAT last, really?

The game might actually be over.

Capitalism (well, let's call it "*Patriotic* Capitalism" made the U.S. into the world's richest and most powerful conuntry.

In the last 20 or 30 years, that "patriotic" capitalism has turned into "Gordon Gekko" (from the movie) capitalism, and in the last maybe 15 years into "Gordon-Gekko-SQUARED Capitalism", into now:

I want it ALL -- ALL ALL ALL!!! ALL of it. EVERYTHING! So I'm screwing the small guy? Fuck him -- he deserves everything he gets. MAYBE if he'd WORKED a little harder, and SMARTER, to. Mother Nature -- that's what Darwin said. "Bloody in tooth and claw". Survival of the fittest.

Damn, it's GOOD that's he's down in the dirt, groveling like the worm he is. And early to get sick and die.

Help raise him up, give him another chance? NO WAY! He'd just propagate himself a bunch -- exactly how it's NOT supposed to work out!

Treason? Huh? You kidding? My collapsing of industries in the U.S., moving them to China, Vietnam, Malaysia? To countries that either will soon or have already been our DEADLY ENEMIES? And you call that TREASON?

Wouldn't I have to be an AMERICAN for that to hold?

Look, you don't get it. We entrepreneurs who're out there doing this kind of work, remaking the world -- We're not citizens of ANY particular country -- we're citizens OF THE WORLD!

I don't know. It's 3:24am. I go off for a few words on a tangent, and I'm still typing an hour later. Not the first time, either!

Hey, Cheers! We're in the Garden of Eden, and everything is in front of us. The gods are smiling, our children and their children and their children's children, et al, life will just be getting better and better and better.

And if it gets to croweded here, thanks to W. Bush we'll be able to go to Mars -- the whole place is empty, wide open, and heck, for something really big, there's Jupiter -- golly, it'll take us a long time to fill up THAT place up, not even for a LONG time having to live in 5-story houses, or apartment buildings, the place is so big.

Gosh, I was born too soon. These young people today, entering their teens, man have THEY got it made.

And all the while the stars and stripes will be flying from Moscow and Peking, and Beh-jing too!

God, do I envy them!

David (the rarely-seen optimist part)

Reply to
David Combs

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:34:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote Re Re: Sealcoat a new driveway????:

Not long. The Euro is gaining attractiveness as an alternative. China is talking about switching from 100% dollar reserves to a mixed-bag of various currencies. I would guess that over the next 8 - 10 years our currency loses another 30% of it's value.

When that happens, we will have to start doing what we should have started doing 20 years ago.

No "might actually" about it. We are a financial "has been" nation that doesn't realize it yet.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

replying to jw, My460 wrote: I Googled and I'm seeing at least 6 to 9 mo. I'm having a driveway laid next week. ..

Reply to
My460

Yes. I had a 250' x 14' drive plus parking area laid in the spring, then sealcoated in the fall just before it got too cold. Sealed every 2-3 years thereafter and it's still looking almost new after 8 years with very little weather damage in a very mixed climate. (-40 to +95).

Keep in mind getting the base right and not skimping on the asphalt depth is a major factor in how long it lasts. I did 4" of asphalt over 6" of well packed roadbase.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

told him he 'needs to' sealcoat the driveway 'now' to protect it. I can't find out if that is really true or not, using Google. Anyone know?

Owner of driveway construction told us to wait - I think he said a year (maybe longer?, but not right away.

Reply to
Arthur (or Alberta) Costello

To Blueman. Asphalt does not have aggregate. Asphalt Concrete or AC has aggregate. Note that the term concrete refers to much more than just portland cement mixtures.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

oh brother.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

He probably argues over calling a tissue not made by Kleenex a Kleenex too. Or calling a copy a Xerox, if not made by a Xerox machine, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Arthur (or Alberta) Costello, Gary Clark wrote: Even though this is an old post, I thought I would add to the conversation for those who may happen upon this in the future.

I have worked in the road maintenance and improvement industry for the last 9 years, and have had good conversations with civil engineers who have focused on roads. I am currently an asphalt sealcoating contractor. Our goal is to look out for the homeowner and we hate it when other contractors "stick it" to the homeowner.

Does a driveway need sealcoating soon after the asphalt is applied? The simple answer is no. Asphalt should hold it's own for a few years at least. As many have mentioned, the roads don't get sealed. This is true, but roads are usually also engineered MUCH stronger than a driveway. That said, I recommend waiting until you start seeing some slight cracking in the driveway before sealing coating. This cracking may be an indication of a poor subgrade, which sealcoating unfortunately cannot cure. But the sealcoating CAN keep help seal the cracks and help keep water and ice from expanding those cracks further. The danger is water getting to the subgrade and starting to wash the sand out from under the asphalt, causing further degradation.

If you have larger cracks, it is helpful to fill them with a commercial grade Acrylic crack filler. By larger, I mean the width of a pencil eraser or greater.

For more thoughts on questions to ask your asphalt sealcoating contractor, visit this link:

Gary Clark

replying to jeff_wisnia, Jimmy the asphaly guy wrote: The roads' asphalts have different composition and aggregates (heavy duty) and hence don't require seal coasting.

Reply to
Jimmy the asphaly guy

replying to jw, Jimmy the asphaly guy wrote: The good rule of thumb is to wait a year for the asphalt to settle and cure then apply rubberized seal coating once per ear to protect it. It usually lengthens the life of a typical driveway or road by another 5-7 years in areas with extreme and harsh weather conditions for a relatively smaller annual investment.

Reply to
Jimmy the asphaly guy

Yes, it's a good rule of thumb for the guy who's applying it and taking advantage of his customers. I suppose I should paint my house once a year too according to some genius painter.

It usually

Do you know Iggy?

Reply to
trader_4

hi Keeping it looking good also helps prolong its longevity and can significantly extend the life and reduce the repair costs associated with the maintenance of your asphalt streets, parking lots, highways or dirt roads.

Reply to
bebetnoble

I was told or read to wait a couple years. Not sure which is best, but I'm leaning on hot sprayed oil based product which may also contain sand.

Greg

Reply to
gregz