Schrader valve

What is the thread pitch and size of a Schrader valve stem on an bicycle's inner tube?

Also, the small metal pin in the middle of the valve is bent so it's difficult to inflate the inner tube.

This bent pin is also preventing me from unscrewing the valve stem core. How do I take the core out?

Reply to
gcotterl

What is the thread pitch and size of a Schrader valve on an inner tube?

Also, the metal pin in the middle of the valve is bent so it's very difficult to inflate the tube. It's also preventing me from unscrewing the valve core. How can I take the core out?

Reply to
gcotterl

gcotterl wrote in news:0bca4c17-47bd-401e- snipped-for-privacy@j14g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

If the pin is bent sufficient to make core removal difficult, I'm not sure you have many options other than using a precision screwdriver to force the pin straight again so you can get the core-tool on it.

Have you considered simply replacing the tube? Tubes aren't particularly expensive, or particularly hard to replace. Assuming this is a bicycle or other uncomplicated piece of machinery...

Reply to
Tegger

Replacing the tube was a bear -- see my "Mounting a Small Tire on Wheel" post -- but I finally succeeded. But, in that process, I must've bent the pin.

Reply to
gcotterl

gcotterl wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d1g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

I haven't the foggiest clue how you managed to do that, considering that one goes nowhere near the interior of the valve stem when installing a tube.

Can you give some details of the disaster?

Reply to
Tegger

In what way is it preventing you from taking it out? Is the part of the pin that you depress for filling bent so that you can't get the valve tool on it? If so, just grab it with needle-nosed pliers and straighten it enough to use the tool. You probably need to replace the core anyway... You might even just cut the end of the pin off, but I'm not sure if that might result in launching small parts into the tube...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Check this:

and this:

Erik

Reply to
Erik

give this a try

DD_BobK

Small needlenose pliers to straighten the pin.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

There is a screw on dust cover for the schrader valve which also has a built in tool on the back to remove the valve stem.Go to your auto parts supplier. JoeG

Reply to
GROVER