Satellite locating tool

Page 1 of 2
Is there a tool that satellite installers use to pinpoint the location of a satellite - mainly to see if a clear "shot" exists from a given location?
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 21, 10:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

There are tools. But they are expensive. There is a web site that you can plug in your address and it will give you the direction to most of the commercial satelites. You can even get an overhead view of your property with directions on it.
Unless you are extremely wooded or pretty far to the north getting a clear shot at the satelites is usually possible. If you want to swag it, t's going to be somewhere between south east and south west at about 90 - the deg of latitude you are located at.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in

I'm sure they do. But you can get away with a compass and the elevation guide supplied to you by your satellite TV company with your hardware.
There are online tools you can use, too: <http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp <http://www.dishnet.com/zipcode.shtml
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
[snip]

The ones I had wouldn't change the volume. The frequency would get higher as the signal got stronger.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Last time I looked up in the sky, what I saw wasn't a bird or a plane, it was Superman. Maybe I should give up eating in those cheap restaurants.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖

another neat way is to look up the dates and times of "sun outage" in your area for that bird.
on those days, at those times, wherever the sun is, thats where your bird is...
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
Let me explain why I want this. I have two dishes for the Dish network. They have been working well for about ten years. The dishes are aimed through a hole in the trees. The problem is that the trees are growing and I would like to determine when I can expect tree branches to block the signal (and what I have to do if it happens). I would like to aim a tool at the satellite and be able at the same time to see the nearby tree branches. Possible?
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:45:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

I am told if you reverse polarity on your dish, the flames that shoot out will clear the path for the signal again.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 21, 12:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

From your second post it seems you have an arborist problem, not an alignment one. Call a tree man (One with a bucket truck) and have him open up the window in the branches.
JoeG
Add pictures here
✖

Or you can move the dish, which I've had to do twice in the 12 years we've had our dishes.
The first time was because of my neighbor's birch, which eventually blocked the signal. I moved the dish to the roof, where it came loose, then I moved it to its final spot, which is a less-than-ideal one. Then my neighbor's birch died and he cut it down. By that point I was tired of moving the dish, so I never took advantage of the birch's removal.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in

Very possible. I've done it myself.
Here's a simple and reasonably accurate way to determine what you want. It can be done visually, with no instruments, not even a pencil and paper.
1) Trace an imaginary line that comes out of the center of the dish, perpendicular to the plane of the dish's rim (just like the stem of an umbrella coming out of its umbrella). This line will be pointing up, away from the ground.
2) Now trace a line from the center of the LNB surface to the center of the dish, where your first line came from. This will be at an angle to the umbrella-stem line.
3) Now flip the LNB-to-dish angled line, using the umbrella-stem line as the mirror line.
4) Now trace that mirrored line upwards to the trees.
You can use your fingers or arms as guides to help you ensure your angles are correct.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
What I really need is a viewer with a little magnification (like a small telescope) that will also display (in the view) azimuth and compass bearing. That way I can aim at the satellite (based on its coordinates) and see if there are any branches that are too close.
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in

This thread got me curious: what would dedicated angle-seeking device be called? Some Googling revealed the term "angle level". Maybe you can find something here, on this Google Image search: <http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw 53&bih‘8&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%22angle+level%22&oq=%22angle+level%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl330l87153l1l17l17l3l11l0l0l260l525l0.2.1l3>
I have another DIY suggestion involving your kid's school protractor and a spirit level, but I'll let it go for now.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
Tegger wrote:

It's called an angle locator here:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 21, 8:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Use geometry. Measure the distance from the ground to the center of your dish. Measure the distance across the ground from directly below the center of yourr dish to directly below the "hole" in the tree. You may need to put up a ladder and hang a weighted line to be exact. Then you have one side of a triangle. Your satelite setup will give you the degrees for your location. Calculate the height of that side of the triangle, add the distance the center of your dish is from the ground. You get the height of your "hole" in the trees.
Add pictures here
✖

That's a more complicated variant of the method I originally suggested.
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:08:39 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

Mrs. Johnson, I've asked you before to please stop trying to convince us that the courses you made me take in high school were of any use.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/21/2011 12:45 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

Maybe a tree trimmer would be an easier solution?
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/21/2011 9:18 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

yes, but i have no idea what it is called. it is basically a tube they look through with a compass and elevation scales on it. It's pretty basic.
--
Steve Barker
✖
On Jun 21, 10:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

When you sign up for satellite service, the provider will install and align the dish when he brings out the receiver. They also make the connections from the dish to the receiver and TV set.
If this doesn't work for you, the start up program supplied with the receiver will assist you(located at the TV set) and a helper(located at the dish) to fine tune the aligment to your location.
JoeG
Add pictures here
✖