Sandblasting

I need to remove paint from a set of concrete steps. I have used a pressure washer and gotten a fair amount off. It would appear that using a sandblaster rather than paint removers/etc would be the quickest and most thorough way to remove the rest.
I assume that you can rent them. Any information about
(a) How easy are they to use
(b) Is it easy to control the sand so it doesn't harm nearby areas that you do not want affected.
(c) What is involved in clean up
(d) any danger of damaging the concrete at all
would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Bob
I am considering using a sandblaster for removing paint from a set of concrete steps.
Any information/advice about
(1) ease of operation
(2) ability to direct sand so it does not affect areas you do not want to reach
(3) ability to effectively remove paint
(4) availability at rental places
would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bob

you use it just like you used the power washer.

it's very dusty

lots of sand

yes. you can dig holes in it pretty easily. i blast holes through glass with mine.

if you're doing it outside, have someone train a leaf blower on where you're doing it. you will need a positive air pressure suit or really good air filtration, since the sand will give you silicosis if you breath it. it might be hard, to impossible, to rent an outfit. you can get a cheap one at harbor freight.
your neighbors won't be too happy that you're doing this, if they're close. there are closed systems available that have a blaster/dust extractor in the same unit, but they're pretty expensive. it'd be more economical to hire the job out.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Fairly easy to very difficult, it does depend a lot on what sandblaster you have and what you are doing with it.

It depends again on exactly what you are doing and what you are using.

Same as above.

It is possible, bunt not likely under most conditions.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

For a small job, consider using a wire wheel on an angle grinder.
Cheers, Wayne

any harm in misting the sand as it blows, turning the dust into a slurry?

I once rented pressure washer that mixed sand into the pressurized water.
Bob
First you should be able to rent a big blast pot and compressor for around $150 a day. IF this is a small job stick with the wire wheel and grinder. Otherwise a sand mix will work great but make sure you having breathing equipment. It's dusty but it will not give you silicosis since silica sand is no longer sold for this purpose, at least where I am. How big is the job?
Think of it like spray painting from 8" away, your going to get the same fan pattern and can eaither go down to a quarter size or several inches in diameter.