Salt Water Pool

I have a salt water pool and need to empty it to refinish the bottom. How would be the best way to empty the pool without causing any environmental problems either for grass or for ponds that are fed by storm drains.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:56:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote Re Salt Water Pool:

That's a good question. It seems that given the fact that you can't even taste the salt in the water, that the level is very low and probably wouldn't be a problem; but I don't really know.
Add pictures here
✖

One of the two hosts on the back yard bay radio show is a big salt water pool proponent, bet he (they) would know http://www.backyardbay.com/radio.htm
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 19, 11:56 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 19, 11:56 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have no idea about the salt water issue but if this is an inground pool make sure you talk to a pool professional before you drain it. Many people have had done significant damage to their pool by draining it. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon and when you remove that weight bad things can happen.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Can you pump it to a floor drain in your house rather than putting it in the storm sewer? If so, ask the folks at the local water treatment plant if that would cause any problems. I'm guessing it wouldn't, especially if water softeners are common in your area.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 19, 11:56 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Remove all the salt from the generator, wait 'til the chlorine level goes down to zero, and then you may drain. The dissolved solids still may damage grass or trees, but at least you're not putting chlorine into any waterways. Tom
Add pictures here
✖

Do you have any idea whatsoever how a chlorine generator works? How pray tell can you remove salt from the water?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri 20 Jun 2008 07:16:45a, GoHabsGo told us...

You would need a desalination plant, which I don't that any one individual could afford.
--
Wayne Boatwright
✖

So then, can these generators be bypassed? If possible, that should cause the chlorine level to drop. If not, what were they thinking when it was installed? Lessee, about one tablespoon NaCl per gallon of water, so not too salty. Tom
Add pictures here
✖