Salt as Root Control in Toilet?

Page 1 of 2
I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street), what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots growing into your pipes.
His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.
Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.
Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just real stupid?
Thanks in advance,
8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email) ~~~~~~~~~
http://suzie-q-wacvet.com / http://intergnat.com/malebashing /
I'm in NY state, where they salt the roads a lot. Does a lot of sheet metal and frame damage to the cars. I'd not want to put salt in my toilet tank, it would likely do damage to the float, and the various metals in the tank.
You could flush a fistful of rock salt (I'd not use table salt, it would dissolve too quickly). The various hardware stores sell stuff for this purpose. Plumbing department, and ask the clerk who's over 40 years old. Not the pimple faced teen.
I asked my plumber, who was here a few days ago clearing roots from my plumbing (main line between house and street), what the best root control product was -- meaning that stuff you flush down the toilet once a month to prevent roots growing into your pipes.
His answer was to put some rock salt into a container, poke some holes in it, and put it in the toilet tank. This sounded like a great idea since I know that salt will kill plants.
Then I got online and looked it up. Started seeing things about salt actually damaging plumbing. That's when I decided to come and ask you knowledgeable folks.
Is using rock salt in the toilet tank a good idea, or just real stupid?
Thanks in advance,
8^)~~~~~~ Sue (remove x to email) ~~~~~~~~~
http://suzie-q-wacvet.com / http://intergnat.com/malebashing /
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:18:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Metal? In a toilet tank? Just how old *is* your house? ;-) You must still have one of those Republican 5-gal flush toilets, too!
I'd certainly be sure there is no metallic waste pipe in the house, though. Salt won't likely hurt PVC, much, though that's not certain, either.

Water softener salt.

....as opposed to those lo-flow turders that require 6 flushings to get the one ornery floater down and spray the entire bathroom or yer ass with aids water?
nb
--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Right. As opposed to those commie Democrappers.

He is the pot
On Mar 22, 12:43am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

use cupper sulphat , that stop roots without killing plants

I'm glad that salt has worked for you, but it's not the be-all and end- all of root treatment.
I do essentially the same thing as you do, except that I put the salt/ saltwater in my basement shower stall which is right next to the last cleanout before the drain leaves the house. I also do it before leaving for work so no water is used all day.
It may do a good job of killing any roots on the bottom of the pipe (since the camera showed none) but it doesn't get to the roots entering from the top. When these roots get long enough - before reaching the bottom of the pipe where the water runs - they can snag debris floating on the water and eventually build up a clog.
It's been 5 weeks since my last snaking/cutting, so I'm going to use the Root-X sometime next week.

I believe thats why VERY HOT WATER works best.
The hot salt water vaporizes in the line killing all the roots.
cold water might be less affective. plus i do laundry in the days after the initial treatment, the waste water empties into the washtub with the remaining salt, retreating the line again.
what can i say its worked for me for near 15 years, and every joint but one had roots....
i encourage people to at least try it. even with a clog.
the salt water isnt hazardous, skin exposure to copper sulfate may make you ill:( and its dirt cheap too.
softener salt could also be used if you live where rock salt isnt available
What brand of rock salt do you use?
My initial impression was that you were wrong on this, but I see how right you are. I went to our local hardware store, and asked how much a pound of copper sulfate would be. You can imagine my shock when he told me that it was going to set me back three dollars and twenty seven cents.

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:43:44 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

No, Malformed, you're the only one "coordinated" enough to shit himself, around here. Well, there is harry...

this is no time for you to be modest about your mothers failures

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:13:36 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

As usual, Malformed, you make no sense.
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:05:40 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

...the sound of your head following your ass down the bowl.

so you spend quite a bit of time following your mothers turds on their journeys?
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:09:01 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You lefties sure are obsessed with all things scatological, aren't you Malformed?

better that than your obsession with penises
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:43:53 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

When all other arguments fail, you *always* fall back on IKWYABWAI.

thank you. I do so enjoy your attempts at humor, now roll over and beg for more attention