Safety lites on gar. door opener

Page 5 of 5

Willie The Wimp wrote:

Precisely. Specifically on the characteristics underlying probabilistic model (for random events) which is why I used the earlier easier-to-see-than-some-others example...
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:06:01 -0600, Willie The Wimp

    Well it was not stated, but I believe everyone was speaking of random events. With randon events prior events have zerro effect on future events.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hmm. What you're describing is known as "The Maturation of the Odds."
It doesn't exist. I hope.
You're saying we should worry about the moon crashing into the earth? Bolivia declaring war on the U.S.? Ted Turner accepting Jesus as his personal savior? The Washington Monument falling over in a high wind and crushing a tourist from Lithuania who had just bought a tutti-fruity ice cream cone?
The mind reels! Thousands - nay millions - of new things to worry about.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:16:09 -0600, Willie The Wimp

Why not make them serve double duty, or 1.5 duty. What I do is install them at bumper height instead of way down 6" off the ground. Then I can't close the garage door and hit the car's bumper and scratch it if it's not in all the way. I like to only put my cars in just barely enough to clear the door so I maximize the room in front of them.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I recommend the high-tech solution of a hanging tennis ball.
I think you can get the kit, complete with ball, thumb tack, and string, at Best Buy for $9.95.
HeyBub wrote:

I always hear this suggestion, but who wants tennis balls hanging down in the middle of their garage?

I only use the garage for a car in the winter- and I don't spend a lot of time out there when it is cold. But if I'm working there in the winter- or for the summer- I have a hook on the rafter a few feet away that hold the tennis ball above my head.
We do it more for the crap on the sides of the garage than the depth- but it is nice to have the car in the exact same spot always.
Jim
Rick Brandt wrote:

They also don't work so well, for those of us with less than great depth perception. It is surprisingly hard to to tell when something touches the clear windshield, with no nearby points of reference. Maybe if you add some bells to the twine above the ball or something.
Me, I flip the headlights on and look at the reflections on the wall in my too-short garage. I bought a boat bumper at at garage sale, to hang on the wall on a rope, but never got around to hanging it.
-- aem sends...

Good point. I used a washer on a string instead.
HeyBub wrote:

Even more high tech, there's a parking bumper on the floor in ours. When granddad built the garages, the length was significantly longer than most/all today so have an extra spacers in front now...

Hmmm...I wonder if one can get a second set. My wife is disabled and I have to park with the car backed in with the trunk in the door to pick her up. Wife has absentmindedly closed the door on the trunk lid.
Harry K
Harry K wrote: ...

They're readily available as spare parts; I have no idea what the cost is.
Since afaik no opener has separate inputs for two sets they wouldn't work wired in parallel for anything that didn't simultaneously break both beams of course, so would have to be in series[1].
That would then raise the question of whether the drive voltage/current from the power supply has the ability to power both at once. But, other than that, ottomh don't see any fundamental reason couldn't work.
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 07:51:25 -0800 (PST), Harry K

If you get a whole bunch of little mirrors and aim them all properly......