Safety lites on gar. door opener

Harry K wrote: ...

They're readily available as spare parts; I have no idea what the cost is.

Since afaik no opener has separate inputs for two sets they wouldn't work wired in parallel for anything that didn't simultaneously break both beams of course, so would have to be in series[1].

That would then raise the question of whether the drive voltage/current from the power supply has the ability to power both at once. But, other than that, ottomh don't see any fundamental reason couldn't work.

--

Reply to
dpb

actually its required you make nice with the buyer.......

I had big hassle selling mine, it was unreal what home inspectors found.

the first buyer walked, saying your home is in terrible shape. one of his inspectors gripes?

no GFCI on the garagew sump outlet.

the nnext buyers inspector flagged it stating this outlet shouldnt be GFCI protected...

had to get middle group to reinspect the main service installed 8 years earlier because the signature had faded.

for those who cheap out on repairs good luck if you try to sell..........

youll be saying gee maybe i should of done some of this as I went along......

rather than a insermountable job at sales time that may require money you dont have........

Reply to
hallerb

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Only up to a point.

Sometimes the customer simply isn't right so unless you're in a distress sale situation be reasonable but no reason to be a wuss, either. And, if the former then probably just as well to give the price break and walk away, anyway.

...snip list of petty grievances...

None of that listed above is anything other than minor stuff as are the safety lights in question. If a potential purchaser is going to reject on the basis of this; fix it and they'll find something else. They're not interested and are just making excuses.

Reply to
dpb

They also don't work so well, for those of us with less than great depth perception. It is surprisingly hard to to tell when something touches the clear windshield, with no nearby points of reference. Maybe if you add some bells to the twine above the ball or something.

Me, I flip the headlights on and look at the reflections on the wall in my too-short garage. I bought a boat bumper at at garage sale, to hang on the wall on a rope, but never got around to hanging it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If you get a whole bunch of little mirrors and aim them all properly......

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

This potentially bears on code requirements, part of my original query.

"flagged by the home inspector"? As a code violation? You don't have any references to such, do you?

You're just rattling stuff off for no substantial reason, aren't ya? Eh?? Eh???

Reply to
Willie The Wimp

Good point. I used a washer on a string instead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

OK you go sell a home and report back:)

You have NO IDEA the home inspector hassles, yet one MUST get thru the inspection or see the sale evaporate:( Fact is somewhere around here I have TWO home inspection reports done within a month of one another, and hardly matching at all.

90% of buyers want a ready to move in no repairs necessary, so a fixer upper elminates 90% of buyers. makes selling hard. most buyers are instantly turned off

so unless you have sold a home within the last 5 years, go try, and do let us know how things go:)

Your better off doing things right as you go along, than wait till home sale time, when you have to go back and fix all the stuff you patched / worked around earlier

DIY people like the majority who hang out here would look at fixing it up as a fun challenge, vs most buyers who dont want to do anything.

Me and my wife at the time looked at a beautiful pretty cheap home near orlando florida. quiet dead end street fenced in yard, well maintained homes. picture perfect:) I fell in love:)

The problem was the house stank of cat urine, it was a concrete slab home.

no biggie to fix it up, and be rid of the odor, I had done this before selling my moms urine soaked home, and it was hardwood much harder.

my wife wouldnt even consider it............

the idea died of consternation jen wanted a fancy new or near new home with zero work....

jen was a typical home shopper.

to sell my moms house i had to add jackposts under a beam that was nothed 50 years earlier passed inspection and never moved, get the main service reinspected cause the inspectors signature was visible but faded, gert the brand new water heaters main valve replaced, after inspector claimed it leaked, plumber said no leak but it had to be replaced anyway, added 2 dehumidifiers, in mid summer basement humidity was too high, the GFCI on sump pump hassle and a long list of other hassles that really amounted to nothing.

heck before putting it on market it got electrical upgrade, painted complete, new carpeting, new complete kitchen, bath redone new ceramic floor cabinet lights outlets (GFCI) the entire house looked awesome and both buyers home inspectors put me thru hell.........

but hey do slipshod work on your home, it doesnt effect me at all

Reply to
hallerb

I had big hassle selling mine, it was unreal what home inspectors found.

the first buyer walked, saying your home is in terrible shape. one of his inspectors gripes?

no GFCI on the garagew sump outlet.

As I said, it comes down to motivation and price. You are always free to tell the potential buyer to screw off and wait for another. Assuming, of course, you can afford to wait.

In your case, losing the first buyer may have been a gift. He may have been even more troublesome at closing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Willie The Wimp wrote: ...

No, it's not a code violation to have an old door opener w/o reversing lights any more than having ungrounded wiring is in existing dwelling. It was compliant at the time of installation. It _possibly_ would get noted on an inspection as an item; it couldn't be a defect, only a condition.

W/ a new opener that has provision for them but not installed your logical choice would be to go ahead and rig 'em up before listing/showing the property.

hallerb is basically just that kind of poster -- he's had every bad experience known to man or has a friend that has had (or is getting to have if not just yet) and any and every possible hangnail is reason for the insurance company to refuse your claim and cancel your insurance and there's no end to it...

It's why I threw in the thing about FPE upthread... :)

Reply to
dpb

Well, Bob the first person was not the "right buyer"! One rule I found in RE is to get the "right buyer".

I bought my present house without ANY inspections - period.

The seller conceded a 25K amount from the list price.

Reply to
Oren

buyers dont grow on trees at the end of summer in pittsburgh. most sales occur spring to end of august. people want to get settled before summer is over.

but hey be a hack maintaing your home, it doesnt hurt me at all.........

I have a business selling stuff, its important to have good looking stuff to sell.

wether its office equiptement or a house. people are fussy about houses its usually the buyers largest lifetime purchase

Reply to
hallerb

"Slipshod Yo Mama! And Granma, Too!!"

Everything will be wrapped up neat and tidy, with the elec. eyes, wire, etc securely visable in the rafters, so I can do what I need with it over the years, as necessary.

Reply to
Willie The Wimp