Safely moving refrigerator over new Pergo

Hi, I have another question. We're putting in a new Pergo floor. I'm concerned about moving our refrigerator without scratching the new floor. The problem is that about 41" from the front of the refrigerator is an island range. I can roll it out straight, but then I have to turn it. And I don't know how to turn it without dragging the wheels, which I'm afraid will scratch.
Is the best way to do this without scratching the floor to get a good appliance handtruck (the kind with the big strap)? Or is there some other trick to making this turn?
Also, how easy does Pergo scratch?

will
I keep sheets of " luan for that purpose.
Happy modeming, Bill

I just did it with an old piece of carpet, turned upside down so the carpet is on the bottom and the backing is on top.
Doug Lowe wrote:

I like bill's plywood suggestion. You could also use an appliance dolly on the side to move it into position so you could roll it directly back.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
That combination sounds like the ticket! Thanx

dolly

Even better in my mind and cheaper. 1/8" masonite hardboard. Smooth side down. Just had new vinyl installed and that is what they used, several peices layed as a road to wherever they were going. Have used it myself since. Works like a dream for anything with wheels.
Harry K

Coincidentally, I just moved my fridge yesterday as I'm in the process of installing Pergo. I went to my local hardware store and got a pack of 4 "coasters" that are designed to do just this. They are a heavy duty plastic disc that faces the floor material and a rubber "cup" that is about 1/2" tall. The fridge wheels fit nicely in them and you just push it along. It glides very nicely without a hint of a scratch.
I had to move mine from the subfloor up on to the Pergo (this was a little tricky getting the coasters under the wheels this way, but not too bad) and then it needed to slide sideways for about 4' before sliding back in against the wall.
The best part about this is you just leave them there for future movement and cleaning. No need to drag out that piece of carpet or other stuff that you can't leave under the fridge.

Let me recommend the Teflon slider pads, which I think is what you're referring to, for every piece of furniture they can be stuck to or nailed onto or slipped under. Those pads really do work, both on carpet and on hard surfaces.
I've been putting them on every piece of furniture that comes into the house, old and new. I'm short, have no real upper-body strength, and have a bad back, and these sliders are wonderful. I can actually move the queen hide-a-bed myself now. Full dressers are no problem, either. No straining, no scratching the floor, no snagging the berber carpet. It's quite surprising and I wouldn't have believed it before I tried them.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:05:36 GMT, "Doug Lowe"

They're called "Moving Men" or furniture sliders, find a set in your local hardware store. Teflon disks that slide perfectly.

Not really that easily. Gouges like an appliance corner maybe, but rubber wheels shouldn't really bother it. Rosin paper from the building supply store is a good protectant when moving things on a dolly.
Jeff
LoweWriter.com says...

Put a moving pad on the floor then put a 1/4 or 3/8 inch piece of plywood a little larger than the base of the frige on top of that. Roll it onto the wood then slide it across the Pergo. If the laminate flooring is glued at the seams the bond might break rolling a heavy refrigerator over the surface.
--
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost