Rusting bathroom baseboards

3 boys in the house and the baseboard is only a few inches from the side of the toilet = splahed urine and rusty baseboard. I have painted these before with Rustoleum spray, but it only looked good for a short time. Is there another type of paint, or maybe a clearcoat I could use to stop this?
Reply to
KenDoo

Boys will be boys. Talk to them in any case as you have to take them to public places and other folks' homes.

Now, if you prepare the baseboards (sanding and or steel wool) and prime them and then paint them, they will hold up for years unless they are rusting through from the back.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

they'll just mess it up again. Wait until they are 25.

Reply to
mm

Metal baseboards? Never seen that, ever- only wood or vinyl. Or are you talking about baseboard heater outlets? If that, I'd just replace them, once the boys are old enough to aim.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sand them down, treat them with rust-fixer (I forget the brand name, it is sold in auto stores - you brush it on and anywhere there is a trace of rust turns black). Then prime and paint. In my experience this fix will last at least 5 years.

Vin - On-line old maps for genealogical, local history, real estate and gold claims research at

OldRoads