rust around tub drain

i know this has been asked before but it's been awhile so i guess i'd give it another shot.
what's the best way to fix rust around the drain of a cast-iron tub? the rust is in it's infancy stage but i want to do something about it before it becomes a major problem.

Reglazing is costly but does work.
I have had reasonable success using appliance touch up paint on a very dry surface. Multiple coats will "build-up" the surface a bit. It stopped the rust and the tub is still in use. Cost less than $5.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

I have had a few tubs that have been reglazed and I was not impressed. Looked like an Earl Sheib paint job.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Actually I scraped off the rust and it appears there still is porcelain underneath. There doesn't seem to be exposed cast iron. I'm hoping that the rust came from the drain flange.
thanks for your suggestions.
If the porcelain is intact, I would try something like CLR. Let it sit for a bit, then scrub. Whink is another product that does a good job removing rust from hard surfaces.
Jo Ann
thanks, I'll give CLR a try.
I think I figured out what's going on. Before the rust, I squeezed lemon juice down the drain and around the permitter. I left the juice sit all day and I think it caused the flange to rust on the edge where it accumulated in the seam.