Russo Glass-View wood Stove

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know anything abouy the Russo Glass-View Wood Burning Stove. I bought a house that had one, in the back it has a blower, not sure if the blower works, I plugged it in and nothing, I made sure the Flu was open and in the middle postion, then tested it with some starter wood, it probably has not been use in a few years, The room got a little smokey So my question is and yes I am stupid when it comes to this, but I dont want to kill everyon in my house so anyone have any ideas on how to use the thing

There is most likely a temperature sensor that is wired to but is separate from the blower and mounted near the heating chamber that tells the blower when to stop and start. Hopefully by now your stove is heated up enough to have started the blower. If the stove seems hot but the blower still is not running, check to make sure there is power at the outlet where you plugged into. If that is ok, try to find where the sensor is and have this checked. Otherwise until you find out if the wiring and electrical components are ok, do not over heat the wood stove or it could cause other problems........ Good luck! Steve
it probably has not been use in a few years,

I have to add a few safety considerations as I am assumimg you are not familar with the wood heat method of heating a house.......... If you are, please excuse me for assuming this.
If you have never had the need or opportunity before to use an inside wood burning stove I can't emphasize enough the hazards associated with using one. Are you certain your chimney is clean and ready for use with a wood burning stove??? What type of wood do you have to use? Is it hardwood or softwood? Softwood (Pine) contains high pitch content and can overheat and lead to chimney fires. Hardwood is best (oak, maple, birch, etc.) if it has had a chance to air dry after being cut and split for at least 6 months. You should never just start a fire in the stove and walk away, it needs to be monitored closely for awhile so it either doesn't smolder or take off like a dragon. I highly recommend attaching a magnetic temperature guage to your flu pipe coming out of the stove so you know how hot your fire is all the time.
Hope this helps you out some.......... Steve
In addition to Steve's very good suggestions, get a CO monitor for the room.
Also, make sure you have a good new solid galvanized small trash can with a tight fitting lid for ash removal and disposal.
Steve wrote:

Your home should already have AT LEAST one smoke alarm............
Keep all combustibles away from the woodstove!
Don't ever burn garbage in your wood stove!
Be sure to use good long welders leather gloves to handle the wood into the stove!
The list goes on and on and on....................
Steve A wood burning veteran of 30 years............
On Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:25:09 PM UTC-5, Steve wrote:

replying to josephs6at , ron wrote:

DID YOU EVER GET THE MANUAL FOR YOUR 28" LOG RUSSO WOOD STOVE I CAN NOT FINE MINE IS THERE A CHANGE YOU HAVE A COPY FOR ME I BOUGHT MY MINE IN 1970

It would be great if you could write back and let us know what you found out with your wood stove?????? We are just trying to be helpful and to do what we can to help solve your problem....... Steve
Steve - open the flue all the way up when you start a fire so that you have the best possible draft to suck that smoke out, after everything is hot you can back it down some. is your russo stove in a fireplace with a flue? see if you can get a manual on that stove from:
Russo Products, Inc. 61 Pleasant Street Randolph, MA 02368 (781) 963-1182 snipped-for-privacy@fireplaceseast.com
Paul

If unsure of its history, I suggest having a certified chimney sweep do a safety inspection. Look on this industry site for a list: http://www.CSIA.org .
The blower may have a snap switch (thermostat) so it only comes on when up to temperature, so it does not blow cold air.
Smoke into the room could be a flue that needs to be preheated, or a clogged rain cap mesh.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
www.FireLogs.com

I have a Russo Wood/Coal combination stove that I purchased in about 1983, I have used it every winter since then. I burned coal in it for many years - too awhile to get the hang of that - but feeding your stove only 2 times in a 24 hour period is great. OK - information for you. The Russo Stive was manufactured by : Russo Manufacturing Corp. 87 Warren Street, Randolph MA 02368.
I don't believe that they are in business anymore by that name - They are now: Russo Products, Inc. 61 Pleasant Street Randolph, MA 02368 (781) 963-1182 snipped-for-privacy@fireplaceseast.com
I don't think that they are manufacturing those stoves anymore, but parts are available. I have a 28 page manual for mine that is quite extensive and if you contact me I can get you a copy.
The problem mentioned with smoke in the house - I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, make sure that the stove it hot - I rarely have this problem with my Russo but do have it with another stove in my basement, need to get that draft going by having the thing hot enough to suck out that smoke. The fan blowing is controlled by a thermostat so it doesn't blow cold air, get the stove hot and it it works it will turn on, assuming that the switch is on to provide power to the blower motor.
remyack had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Russo-Glass-View-wood-Stove-291719-.htm : Hello I have a Russo Glass view stove and need the installation codes you might have these in the 83 coal wood combo stove manual if so please let me know at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thanks so much for your time.
------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 327622 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Russo-Glass-View-wood-Stove-282568-.htm SmoknHot wrote: Paul, Can I get a copy of your manual as well? I just bought a Russo coal wood combination stove as well. Thanks in advance for any effort - Best, Wil
---------------------------------------
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

-------------------------------------
Just bought a house with a Russo wood/coal stove, we have used wood stoves for many years but this one eludes us. Just had our first snow, and temps a re dropping and we can not get that thing working, too many gadgets. So my reason for writing was I was hoping I could get a copy of your manual. If s o please let us know.
sialia,
snipped-for-privacy@russoproducts.com
Dave M.
replying to paul9877856, Lombardi59 wrote:

Hi. Could I get a copy of the manual from you?
Thanks.
Bill
Lombardi59 wrote:

homeownershub message originally posted on January 19, 2008
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
replying to paul9877856, Bill wrote:

Hello Paul. I've also been hunting for a copy of the russo cw2. I'd be forever in debt if you we're able to send me a copy. Thanks in advance
replying to paul9877856, Vicki wrote:

I would like a copy of the manual. Thank you in advance.