Rural mailbox

Page 2 of 4
On 1/21/2016 12:43 PM, KenK wrote:

Is the mailbox visible from the house? I have a mailbox made by Rubbermaid that has a flag that comes up on the side when the box is opened. It is on the left side looking from the house.
I've also seen some other pop up flags that can be added, but never looked at the details. Would be nice to have an alarm of sort go off. Probably exists too!

Way back in 1957 there were lots of devices that did this. They set a yellow flag that we could see from our house 120 feet from the box.
Oours only had 3 metal parts counting the yellow flag, plus a screw and a metal weight. Ours used the weight to make the flag go up. Others used a mechanical arm forced down by the door to pull up the flag.
I think a radio would be fine if you couldn't even see the mailbox, but otherwise it's far more cost and trouble than need be.

On 1/21/2016 11:43 AM, KenK wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
or
(Amazon.com product link shortened)1VWRC3QCWJK2FBQ2N2
KenK posted for all of us...

Let us know when you find what you want.
--
Tekkie

Can't you make sort of a reverse flag that falls down below the box when th e postman opens the door to put mail in the box? That's what one of my nei ghbors has done.
Our mail sometimes comes as early as 2pm, and sometimes as late as 8 pm. I t used to be you could set your watch by our mail lady, 3 pm +/- 15 minutes . But after she got transferred to another route, the times went to 5pm +/ - 3 hours. No pattern to the variations that we can figure out. And, ca lls to the Post Office have fallen on deaf ears.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote: "Our mail sometimes comes as early as 2pm, and sometimes as late as 8 pm. It used to be you could set your watch by our mail lady, 3 pm +/- 15 minute s. But after she got transferred to another route, the times went to 5pm + /- 3 hours. No pattern to the variations that we can figure out. And, c alls to the Post Office have fallen on deaf ears. "
Budget cuts, route consolidations. Guess my situation isn't that bad after all! .... 3pm +/- 2hrs. No pattern here either. Now how many DECEASED carriers is the P.O. still paying pensions to?
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I bought my folks a battery operated transmitter. It chimes in the house and lights a red led when the mailbox door is opened. Works very well for them, but I don't know what the range is. I bought it from Heartland, but I don't think they stock them anymore. You might check Amazon.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:18:49 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

There might be another route or half-route that he does before yours some days.
When I was a mailman 50 years ago, I didn't know what time to come in until the previous day and it ranged from 6 to 10. Some days I started off by sorting mail and other days iirc it was already sorted.
Here in the USA, at least every place I know of, the red flag is put up when there is outgoing mail, and when you can see the flag is down, then you know the mailman/woman has come and picked up your outgoing mail and maybe left you something.
My neighbor has a second flag (sort of) that is released when the mailbox door is opened, and it falls down so they know the postman/woman has opened the door.

I seem to recall that back when I was a kid living or visiting rural places that the mailbox flag system was just the opposite of that nowadays. Mailperson put the flag up when you received mail, instead of putting it down when outgoing mail was picked ip. Makes more sense to me. Probably amother false memory. Comments?
TIA
Per KenK:

Around here (suburban, not rural), the flag is always used to signal outgoing mail and the carrier flips it down when he picks up the mail.
So, pending a conversation with the carrier, maybe the solution is for the resident to always flip the flag up when they collect mail - whether there is outgoing or not.... and have the carrier, as usual, flip it down when they deliver.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 01/22/2016 08:00 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I'm in a suburban neighborhood, and the mail carrier usually ignores the red flag. Doesn't stop unless there's mail to be delivered. Almost never puts the flag down afterward.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Ever leave him cookies ? Maybe a bag of fresh-picked muscadines ? We get superb service here , I'm on a first-name basis with my mail carrier . A couple of fresh cucumbers goes a long ways ...
--
Snag

Per Mark Lloyd:

I'd have a word with whoever runs the local delivery operation.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 8:27:53 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

its no biggie because the postal service is about to mandate central mailboxes in neighborhoods nationwide.
thecentral mailbox hold perhaps 50 boxes, which the carrier fills , saving tons of time and money
coming nationwide along with mon, wednesday, and friday deliveries only, closing of over 1/2 of all bost offices nationwide
Bob Haller wrote: "- show quoted text - its no biggie because the postal service is about to mandate central mailboxes in neighborhoods nationwide.
thecentral mailbox hold perhaps 50 boxes, which the carrier fills , saving tons of time and money
coming nationwide along with mon, wednesday, and friday deliveries only, closing of over 1/2 of all bost offices nationwide "
Cite source for this, please.
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 9:03:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

its part of a modernize and streamline the postal service proposal in congress.
fine by me, since the postal service is mostly a junk mail delivery service
bob haller:
Specific news source or other source please.
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 18:58:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Take our word for it, that's the plan, at least about the group boxes. The less frequent delivery is only a proposal afaik.
Per Micky:

Sounds complicated in the context of the government having to acquire property or property rights for the space where the group boxes structure would be erected.
The bit about a separate large-package bin and the key in the mailbox works for me.
For the scheme in general, I would guess that some people in ill health will have to work something out.
--
Pete Cresswell