running fan venting

I have the typical stove fan venting up through a cabinet and into a framed bulkhead out the side of the house. I wish to remove the bulkhead to open the look of the kitchen. This of course would expose the vent pipe. So, my question is this: Is there any other venting material or sizes that could be laid on top of the upper cabinets that perhaps won't be visible? I imagine some type of moulding at the top of the cabinets would help in blocking the view. Any thoughts/experiences???
Thanks
Edee Em I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....
You can't make the ductwork smaller or you will lose a lot of airflow. I am assuming that the stove is not on an outside wall--if it was, you could vent straight back thru the wall instead of up and over and out.
Another option might be to vent thru the joist space if the joists run that way.
Otherwise, I think you are stuck with a duct on top of the cabinet.

framed
my