Rouge

Several people have suggested that I use rouge to polish a brass plate. What is rouge, and how is it best used?
http://tinyurl.com/ydycqjz

I had to ask myself the same question. I thought it was make up for the bride.
So many variations, cloth, compound and then colors. Jeez, I'm lost.
Brasso will work (my choice Drill Seargeant!). I like the comment of checking the back side. That would cut some work down, just by turning the sheet around/over.
At least take a look-see.

It looks like a big clump of hard clay, you rub it on a rag then use the rag to rub the metal to a high polish.
When I was a kid my granny would pay me to sit a polish her silverware this way, one of those "lost arts" I guess.
Buffing compounds come in different grits like sand paper. The courser grits are made from emery or tripoli and the finish polish is done with rouge.
--

Roger Shoaf

Haven't heard of rouge since I worked in a plating shop decades ago. Huge industrial buffing wheels. Broken wrists were not rare when part slipped and hand it wheel. Rouge was put on the wheels.
mcp6453 wrote:

Rouge is a form of rust and is a very fine polish, but I wouldn't use it because it stains. Try Brasso or automotive swirl remover.
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Rouge is often used on gold because of that staining and the enhanced color.

But no one has told the OP where to buy it!

Go here http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffing.htm

Fantastic information at that site.

Rouge is an abrasive polish. There are different grits. Sold in hardware stores or possibly a jewerly store. But I would use Brasso for polishing brass, then apply lacquer to help prevent future tarnish.

I've been using red rubbing compound for polishing firearm trigger mechanisms in order to smoothe them out. Is this the same type of rouge as jewlers rouge in a semi-pasty state? It sure puts a mirror finish on parts after stoning the high spots off.