Rosin Paper over Newly Refinished Floors???

I've just had my hardwood floors refinished (sanded, stained, then coated with three layers of satin finish oil-based polyurethane). In two weeks, painters will arrive, and they will be in the room where the floors were just refinished. They will be using ladders, paint buckets, etc.

I want to protect the floor, but I realize that the poly hasn't yet "cured", which I hear can take 21 days. Can I lay down rosin paper safely? Will it stick? Will it leech red color onto the light- colored floors? Can I tape the seams with blue painter's tape (for delicate surfaces) and then be able to remove it safely a week later?

And is rosin paper the best way to go?

Thanks.

Reply to
gobofraggle

I would not put tape on the new poly, paper then a plastic drop, then canvas drops, and have them put rubber feet or towels on ladder legs. Of course they have insurance, why not let them do all this, they bid it right. Once I had no accidents and a guy asked if I had insurance because he had new special carpet, I did, well a worker ruined about

40,000.00 in belgian wool carpet, He scrubbed a spot and the company could not match it so replaced it all. my ins co dropped me.
Reply to
ransley

I would put off paintaing for a month so the poly is well cured! why rush? patience leads to a better job

Reply to
hallerb

I would put off paintaing for a month so the poly is well cured! why rush? patience leads to a better job

That's what happens when you get the horse before the cart. Why in the hell did you get the floors finished BEFORE the painting was done? The floors and stairs are the LAST thing you have done. I see nothing but misery in your future if you don't wait till the poly is COMPLETELY cured.After that put down 4X8X1/2 inch sheets of sound board duct taped together(NOT TO THE FLOOR) then canvas drop cloths...Good luck...Your gonna need it....

Reply to
benick

quoted text -

Since the deed is done, what's the worst that can happen to the floor? Also, wouldn't the "sound board" stick to the floor? (BTW, what is "sound board"?) Thanks.

Reply to
gobofraggle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:475112af-94fa-4bda-acad- snipped-for-privacy@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

You know someone just has to ask why didn't you have it painted first?

To me, it's easier to clean up dust then living with a blemished floor. You're going to chew your nails to the bone the entire time they are painting.

Do the painters know the floor is oil based poly and only been drying two weeks?

How long are you leaving your heavy furniture off the floor? Should say that right on the can.

Reply to
Red Green

On 8/13/2008 7:23 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

The stuff formerly sold as Celotex; dunno what they call it today. Fiberboard is the generic term. You know the stuff some bulletin boards are made of?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oi Poly will cure 75-95% in 3 weeks if humidity is low, it will take a

6 mo to a year to fully cure. You have no reason to wait unless its been super humid and was wet for many days, I have done this with a 4 day cure because I just had to. Just protect the floor as I pointed out earlier. Bottom line its the painters responsibility, have it in writing and dont pay till you see the floor clean. Worst that will happen is a easy recoat.
Reply to
ransley

The worst thing that could happen is an easy recoat? So if I protect the floor the way you suggested, when the time comes to pull up the rosin paper, it won't be stuck to the floor (even if there's been significant weight on it for a week)? What if it is stuck?

Reply to
gobofraggle

replying to benick, Drew wrote: I have a similar situation. The floors got done first because it was part of the construction loan whereas the painting was all on me. The contractors needed get paid, and I couldn?t get the walls prepped and done in a reasonable time. Sometimes in a remodel you have to bob and weave and the cart comes before the horse.

Reply to
Drew