Roofing Question

I live in FL and we are thinking about going ahead and getting a new roof this year. I've been trying to educate myself about what is out there - and a friend who lives in Miami is getting a new roof. She said she was using "three dimensional" because it had stayed on houses during the 2005 hurricanes. It's more expensive than the three- tab kind which I read was what most people used. How much more expensive? Does anyone know? Is GAF and Owens Corning about the same quality? One of my neighbors is getting a new roof now and they are going to use something to water-proof the surface under the shingles in case they blow off and re-nail it with longer nails that meets the new code. So with the waterproofing is getting the more expensive shingles overkill? Thanks.

Reply to
Dottie

I don't know the exact details but what I do know is that the cost of the shingles is a small expense compared to the overall cost including labor. IMHO, is almost always makes sense to buy a better shingle where available and affordable. This can be determined by the manufacturers warranty.

One of my neighbors is getting a new roof

No, shingles are cheap compared to the overall cost of the job. Don't try to save a few pennies on the most important component of your house. If you really need to save the dough then try to find something less critical to cut.

That is standard advice but the ultimate decision may be determined by how old you are or how long you plan to stay in the home. Just make sure you compare the cost of the shingles to the overall cost of the job before you decide.

Reply to
Lawrence

[...]

Dottie -- consider a metal roof. The materials are more expensive, but they're the most secure and long lasting of all roofing options -- screwed, not nailed. We went for a metal with a standing seam, no visible screws, which is available in a lot of colors. My favorite is copper color, which has almost a gold sheen to it.

If you decide not to use metal, suggest you check with your insurance company. Mine provides discounts depending upon the material and method of installation. In fact, they have a questionnaire which lists the various options for roofing materials and installation methods, and determine the discount from that information.

While the roof is being redone, you may have the option of adding or upgrading hurricane straps of a variety of methods, which will also give you insurance discount and additional roof security. -- Regards --

Reply to
JimR

Dottie wrote in news:1179872697.615369.122920 @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

They are probably "architectural", aka laminated, shingles.

The nailing area of each shingle (Owens Corning anyway) is double layer. See:

18.75 Owens Corning Oakridge PRO® Series Laminate Shingles 30yr Northeast-building supply company 14.38 Owens Corning Supreme 3-tab shingles 25yr

Both GAF & Owens Corning will say no :-)

Maybe they are going to use Ice Dam. Super sticky back that adheres directly to the plywood. Felt & shingles go over it. Typically used on eaves and valleys. See:

Not sure how much good that does. Typical is 1.25" where I am. Puts the nail through shingles and sheathing.

Al...

Reply to
Al Bundy

She probably means shingles that are thicker than normal (I guess they laminate an extra layer of fiber-mesh to them) to give the roof a more textured appearance, and to simulate slate, shakes, or tile. The extra laminated layer means that they flex less, wear longer, and are less likely to tear off around a nail.

Reply to
Goedjn