Roofing and roof jacks

Ok, so when using roof jacks on a roofing project, what do you do with the raised nails that were used to hold the roof jacks in place.
For example, from what I understand, I lay the first several courses of shingles at the eaves from a ladder or scaffolding. Then, firmly nail the roof jacks in place so I have something to stand on when working and start to lay shingles over the roof jacks. At some point, the roof jacks need to be removed so they can be moved up further on the roof. Removing the roof jacks will obviously leave the nails that were holding them in place slightly raised underneath the row of shingles that are laid over the roof jacks when they are placed. Am I understanding the use of roof jacks correctly? If so, do the slightly raised nails that were holding the roof jacks in place pose a problem? Do I need to raise the tabs of the shingles that were over the roof jacks and nail the slightly raised nails all the way in?
Thanks for any advice.
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:35:54 -0500, "meyousikmann"

That would be the thing to do.

Do I need to raise the tabs of the shingles that were over the roof jacks and nail the slightly raised nails all the way

That is the way I have always done it. And if it has been hot so that the seal strip has stuck, I add a slight smear of roof cement for insurance.
Colbyt
meyousikmann wrote:

you are correct
meyousikmann wrote:

When my roofers are roofing, there are about 10 people up there, and roof jacks are just too tedious and are never everywhere you need them. We just cut strips of valley metal into 2" x 12" pieces. Nail 3 of them to a 12' 2x4 and then nail the strips to the roof (as you would a roof jack). When you need to move the 2x4 up, you just slightly raise the shingle covering them and cut them off above the bottom edge of the shingle.
One note; I would buy valley metal from a roofing supply for this as the stuff at the Borgs is probably too thin.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

I used to just flatten some strips of drip edge and that worked fine too.