Roofer -- Did they screw up?

Just had a new three-tab put on -- it's only been 37 years, but thought what the heck!

Walked the roof yesterday and notice that on three different tabs in different areas damaged shingles....basically, the granular top surface has been sort of "pushed away" to one side on the surface of the shingles, leaving the "tar paper" backing of the shingle exposed.

There is no hole through the shingle and these are NOT large spots. They appear only on one tab of the three and spots are about the size of a quarter or a fifty-cent piece. And, as I say, all-in-all only in three widely varying locations. Almost like a shoe ground into them at one spot (it was about 78 degrees the day they did the install, so they were hot).

I am assuming I should call them back to replace these, since it's beyond my ability, even though I know the "theory" on prying up etc. Plus, I have no extra shingles....

But, just wanted to check and make sure I'm not being too picky about this.

Reply to
timbirr

Yeah, they screwed up, but the potential damage from swapping the shingles, even on a fresh roof, is probably greater than the risk of the damaged spots. I'd call them back and ask for a spot repair- a little plastic tar, a little color-matched gravel (which they probably have a bucket of), and a little pressure to bind it all together. Same technique they use to pretty up the tar job on the chimney flashings, ridge vents, etc. If they get snotty about coming out, you can do this repair yourself, if you can get a supply of the gravel- there may be enough in your gutters already, if you have had a heavy rain since the install- there is always some that washes off fresh shingles. Local supply yard that carries the shingles may or may not have the gravel available seperately, but you won't need a whole bucket. The plastic tar is available in small cans, and a handy item to have around anyway. It keeps several years if sealed tightly.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Seems reasonable. I live way out in the misty woods and I have roofing cement -- one of the ways I kept the previous roof going 37 years...LOL...seems like a big hassle to call them to come way out here for something so minor. Thanks

Reply to
timbirr

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in news:1180278382.360155.189860 @i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Yea probably were shoes that did it.

If you do call them, just hope that if you signed a work completion slip when you paid it didn't say you have inspected it and all was satisfactory. Good roofer will fix it anyway to protect his rep. Another might say tough noogies.

Reply to
Al Bundy

What he said: a good roofer will fix it. Tom

Reply to
tom