Roof Replacement Est CA?

Hi all,

I have been trying to budget a roof replacement and was wondering if anyone could give me a general guestimate of the price range?

2000 sq ft home No steep roof areas (can walk the whole roof) Orange County, CA Replacing a wood shingle roof (original, one layer) with asphalt shingles.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated by this home repair novice.

Thank-you, Meg mgputtputtATSYMBOLwebtv.net

Reply to
MGPuttPutt

wrote

wondering if

range?

asphalt

In my lower/middle class neighborhood near Long Beach the prices paid have ranged from $3,000 to $6,000 for homes of that size. The higher prices have been for steep roofs. These are all second roofs applied over the original (25 year old) roof. Removing the old roof and adding a new one is even more expensive. I talked to about 8 home owners in my tract, and some were happy with the contractors, others very unhappy. I was happy with the one my east neighbor used. The one my west neighbor used would not consider my house because the roof was too steep. I urge you to walk your neighborhood and talk to the home owners about their experiences and get the names of the companies they favor and disfavor.

Reply to
CWLee

We just had one done in N. Cal. Remove single layer wood single and replace with three dimensional asphalt singles on existing plywood. $10K 40 year roof with new gutters. $8K for just the roof. Two story house, 2,200 sq ft.

Reply to
Fred

I would guess about $8,000 to $12,000 Removing the roof putting plywood down. When you need a roof they got ya. Get some estimates I'd like to see what their getting. In Sacramento their getting that.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

$4200 to 6500.

Reply to
Sherman

:> Hi all, :>

:> I have been trying to budget a roof replacement and was wondering if :> anyone could give me a general guestimate of the price range? :>

:> 2000 sq ft home :> No steep roof areas (can walk the whole roof) :> Orange County, CA :> Replacing a wood shingle roof (original, one layer) with asphalt :> shingles. :>

:> Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated by this home repair :> novice. :>

:> Thank-you, :> Meg :> mgputtputtATSYMBOLwebtv.net :>

: :I would guess about $8,000 to $12,000 Removing the roof putting plywood :down. When you need a roof they got ya. Get some estimates I'd like to see :what their getting. In Sacramento their getting that.

Do you need new gutters and downspouts? That will add to the cost. I got two estimates from evidently highly reputable roofers working in and around Berkeley/Oakland CA on my 1925 square footer a couple of weeks ago and they were for about $18,000 and $16,000. That didn't include repairing the dry rot. I am hoping to have the foundation repaired before I get the roof done, though.

I'm having a small-timer come over in a week and will probably get a bid from him. These other companies have 8-9 crews working at once.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

In my case, though, they have to remove 3 layers of previous asphalt roofing that's on top of the initial layer of wood shingles, so that adds some to the cost.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

It amazing how much the rate changes in deferent areas. My estimation was probably leaning to the low end in Sac. Plus there is so much building going on they are getting top dollar. I was talking to a roofer that works the Tahoe area he said he is getting 3 time what the valley ( Sac.) is getting and plenty of work, but he is targeting the million Dollar homes, you know the 800 sq. ft. cabin

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Reply to
grumpyoldfart

: :It amazing how much the rate changes in deferent areas. My estimation was :probably leaning to the low end in Sac. Plus there is so much building going :on they are getting top dollar. I was talking to a roofer that works the :Tahoe area he said he is getting 3 time what the valley ( Sac.) is getting :and plenty of work, but he is targeting the million Dollar homes, you know :the 800 sq. ft. cabin

I figure I'll get some more estimates but I'm scared I'm going to be paying over $20,000 when I add in the carpentry that's going to have to go into this. One roofer said they could do the carpentry at a rate of $65/man-hour + materials, but one GC tells me I shouldn't even consider that - not because of the rate but because they aren't competent to do the work properly.

The bids are to include plywood sheathing all over. I don't believe there's any sheathing presently. There appears to be only wood shingles right over the rafters. I suppose the wood shingles will stay, but they will nail 1/2 inch ply over them before laying the felt and 50 year shingles, that is if I have the current low bidder do the job. My immediate concern is a satisfactory foundation job first, though.

My impression in getting my two current bids is not that they are overwhelmed with work here, but that they can take it on at the moment. Two weeks ago, the first bidder said they were just then beginning to book for the beginning of September. But another pretty big local roofer put off my estimate visit almost 2 weeks, to happen next week.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Hi all,

A BIG Thank-you to: SacramentoDave, CWLee, Fred, Sherman, and Dan_Musicant.

I appreciate the replies! The information and advice is very welcome. Thank-you for taking the time to answer my questions. Gutters, shingles and dry-rot, oh my! :-)

If anyone's interested: I'll update how the real-life estimates with roofers go in the next 2-3 weeks.

This forum has been a lot of help.

Thanks again, Meg :-)

Reply to
MGPuttPutt

..

They defiantly should remove shingles. Then there should be 1X4 skip sheathing on the rafters. Then the Ply or chip board should be installed over that. The wood shingles have to be removed.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

:. :>

:> The bids are to include plywood sheathing all over. I don't believe :> there's any sheathing presently. There appears to be only wood shingles :> right over the rafters. I suppose the wood shingles will stay, but they :> will nail 1/2 inch ply over them before laying the felt and 50 year :> shingles, that is if I have the current low bidder do the job. My :> immediate concern is a satisfactory foundation job first, though. : : :They defiantly should remove shingles. Then there should be 1X4 skip :sheathing on the rafters. Then the Ply or chip board should be installed :over that. The wood shingles have to be removed.

Thanks. I'll definitely bring up the subject. A guy from one of the big local reputable roofers is coming over Tuesday morning. I'll ask him this question directly.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant