Return water too cold- crack the boiler?

Page 2 of 2
I wonder how long JB weld would hold?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Exactly. Cold water shock would be if the water from the street is 40 or 50 degrees it can cause problems, usually over some time. That is very unlikely in a closed system. Industrial steam boilers that run at 300 to 350 degrees are typically fed with water that is about 220 to 225. Yes, they can crack when fed with 70 degree water.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Dave,
I understand this post is quite old but what you describe is exactly what I found with my Weil McLain last spring. Apparently the Gold product had manufacturing defects and 1995 appears to be one of the worst. The crack extends horizontally from the upper hinge area for approximately 3/4"
Go here for more information and explanation from heating professionals.
http://www.oiltechtalk.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t 95&view=next&sid,0e1d33fe3be3284b7ece284e6ffec1
I'd like to hear how you faired with WM and warranty if applicable. I am in the process of getting mine replaced.
Thanks

PD, I don't *think* they purged it as part of the service- it wasn't on

4
just
you
of