Retrieving screwdriver from toilet drain pipe?

Page 2 of 2

i have some copper lines now 60 years old that are paper thin and leaking in places. nothing last forever i just wish they had been heavier from the get go

For that reason, I've been buying thicker copper as I replace piping.
Bob

I was shocked at this too! I saw on This Old House San Fran have bans on PVC waste lines. I'm guessing some copper lobby group has deep pockets. :D
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

about 30-40 years behind the rest of the country regarding building codes. Vested interest. It is what keeps us from having affordable health plans etc. Interestingly the rest of the cities in the S. F. Bay Area have broken semi-free of the union dominance and their codes are quite modern, at worst some of them are typically one update (four year cycle) behind.
Ivan Vegvary
think earthquake. plastic breaks, copper bends.
--
Steve Barker

"Tom The Great" < snipped-for-privacy@here.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:44:25 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"

imho:
I wonder, if you do enough damage to a building to be concerned about 'bending' piping, I think you don't have to worry about broken pvc piping. That building should be evacuated.
later,
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com
: : snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote: :> :> I assume it's a cast iron pipe so a magnet is out of the question. :> Fabricate a three prong fish hook retrieving device. Take a similar :> screwdriver as a guide and apply the correct dimensions to the hooks :> in order to facilitate successful hooking. Measure the exact length of :> line you need to position the hook appropriately. Pretend you're :> fishing and eventually you'll hook the tool.:> :> Then don't be a dumb ass again.: :LOL! : :It's a copper pipe, so I'm going to give the magnet a try first, then :the hook. : :Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Copper! I was just reading a book today that said that copper DWV piping is getting pretty rare. Lucky you!
Winston wrote:

How far down the pipe is the tool?
Here's a 24" grabber/pickup tool, but I bet you can find longer ones
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber162

Can't say more than others have, but to make you feel better, I've dropped things down the toilet also.
I also dropped a big set of car and other keys down a water drain at Union Station in Baltimore, right near Charles St. but before the remodeling in 1995. I had to leave and come back the next day with a bunch of nylon string and a big magnet from a junked speaker It came with screws in it for easy attahcment. I put the magnet down the drain, which was at least 15 feet deep to ground level, and tried to pull up the steel part of the keyring. I never got it, but I did pick up a 4 foot section of rebar. It's a good magnet.
What's the type of pipe? Later in the thread, we're told it's copper, but I am not sure that was you writing. If it's copper, get the biggest magnet you can from the hardware. Also buy a plumber's drain snake. Atach the magnet to the snake with several tie straps (cut the loose ends off). Send the drain snake down. Use some common sense, and some of your other five senses to figure out when you stuck the screw driver. Withdraw it up the pipe very slowly.
I've never done this. But I did score a free screw driver and pair of diags someone dropped into the wall. Cept, with this moment I used a magnet and string.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.