Resurfacing vs replacment of bathtub

Recently the city sewer backflowed into our home. Resulting in damage to the enamal finish in the tub. The city is taking responsibility financially for the damage but wants to have the tub resurfaced.
I'm concerned about the longtivity and durability of resurfacing. The city will pay for it once only, if it needs to be redone then we would have to pay.
The tub was 25 yrs old but in very good condition before the backflow. Will resurfacing last as long as our tub would have? Is it as durable? Or should we ask for a replacement tub? Thank you.

In my experience

It will last just fine as long as you don't use it much or clean w/ anything more than a damp cloth.

Yes, you'll be much happier with a new tub

Why did the sewer backup damage the tub? Was you current tub cast iron or steel?
If it was a real tub (not fiberglass) I'm surprised that the sewer backup damaged the fitting.
How bad is it? Maybe you can take the settlement $'s & clean it yourself / live with until you want to replace.
But if you go for the fix........replacement is the way to go.
cheers Bob

yeah replace tub, liners or refinishing are just make do....
get price on new tub installed, then offer to pay a portion of the difference.
start low and work up:)
yopu will get a new tub, that shouldnt be free

Thanks for that suggestion. Seems fair.

I spoke with a few refinishing companies, even they say it would have to be redone regularly (every 5years or so).
I really don't know how to tell if it's cast iron or steel Bob, but it's not fiberglass. Also don't know why the finish was damaged...Maybe the acid in the sewage sitting there for 3 days?...maybe it was the cleaning product used by the companiy the city had come in?
Thanks for your reply. Casey

Both are magnetic but the cast iron one will be much more rigid......no flex when you step in.
If its cast iron, insist on a new cast iron one.......... I've got an 80 year old one & I'm sure it's got a lot of life left.
25 years is just barely broken in
Cast iron sinks & tub can be removed, sanded, prep'd & re- fired.............ie refinished like new
http://www.cincytubpro.com/faq.html
but I doubt it would make sense in your case unless you've got some sort of unusual tub
cheers Bob