reset odometer

Page 1 of 2
How does one reset the odometer on a 2009 Toyota Tacoma to zero after an oil change? The "maint required" light keeps flashing indicating an oil change is due which has been done. I would like to turn that light off . Thanks for any reply Herb
On 2/13/15 8:50 AM, herb white wrote:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/121-latest-generation-tacomas-reset-maint-reqd-light.html
Retired posted for all of us...

+1 or RTFM or ask dealer or DAGS
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Tekkie® wrote:

It sounds silly changing oil at certain mileage interval. Acura oil change interval is not fixed like that. It monitors engine running conditions and determine when to turn the code B1(code for change oil) on. Also lot of driver convenience features can be set to the likings of driver 1/driver 2 separately from MID. When combined with after market remote starter brain, there are many useful interesting possibilities.
On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 1:11:07 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

Where did anyone say they were changing the oil at a certain mileage interval? All I saw was a question about how to reset the service light after an oil change. And even if they are changing it at a certain, conservative mileage, I think that's probably better than relying on letting the car manufacturer push it to 15K. In many cases the manufacturer has incentive to push it, some now provide all service for the first 75K miles or whatever. Less oil changes, more money in the companies pockets. And any shortened engine life would only show up much later.
trader_4 wrote:

OP, gave me an impression his truck oil change light was triggered at certain resettable odometer reading. People change oil/filter too often on newer cars which uses unleaded fuel, better formulated oil, better spark plugs, hotter running engines. My truck dash shows oil condition by percentage like 80%, 60%... 20%, then B1 code. I mostly do freeway high speed driving. Oil change interval comes down to ~10 - 12 months. But wife's little 4 banger with short stop and go city driver, I change oil/filter twice a year. Kid's Subaru WRX STi(modified, bigger turbo, intercooler, tranny, suspension, exahust) is driven hard, always on synthetic oil which is replaced every 4 months. All our vehicles last over 200K miles without a major mechanical issues, never burns oil during their life time with us. We don't trade in cars every few years, we keep them LONG and take care of them. when enough money is put aside, buy replacement with cash.
On 2/14/2015 1:14 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Got me wondering if I could put off oil change to annual on my 12 year old Subaru that I only drive < 6,000 miles a year.
I get it done in a shop where I had bought tires and get free rotation every year and had been changing it myself between rotations.
Friend also had op's complaint about Toyota as when he changed his own oil at recommended intervals, warning light would come on anyway. He had to go to dealer to find secret of turning it off.
On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 2:01:37 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I don't see why not. I sure wouldn't be changing it more than once a year. I don't think any manufacturer now recommends any more frequently than 5K miles or once a year. With synthetic they are doing 10 to 15K.
On 2/14/2015 2:14 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Subaru manual says 7,500 miles or 7.5 months. Wife also has a Subaru. Dealer and guy I go to want you to stick to which ever comes first. Think I will go annual for mine now.
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:02:14 -0500, Frank

In MOST cases, whichever comes first is about right, because in most cases, the low mileage vehicle will be making many short trips. IF your mileage is low but comprises of a few long trips, once a year and 7000 would be OK. I'm going 2 changes a year on both the Taurus and the Ranger - with synthetic that I buy on sale for about $20 per change.. When it goes on sale I buy 6 jugs and I'm good for the year - including my daughter's Hyundai.

then you would want to change it about twice a year. If longer trips where the engine heats up to normal for a while then once a year shoud be fine.
I had a 1991 Camry and the recommended change was 7500 miles. I drove about twice that many each year,but most trips were to work about 12 miles each way . I changed the oil twice a year and put 190 K miles on it and traded. My wife has a car that gets drive about 5 or 6 K miles a year. The shortest trip is around 5 miles. The oil gets changed once a year needed or not when I get it inspected and the tires rotated. My Toyota truck was driven about 15 K a year and the oil changed and tires rotated twice a year. I have retired and now it gets changed once a year as the milage is a lot less.
trader_4 wrote:

With my Toyota the light comes on at 5000 mile intervals like clockwork. It will flash a couple of times on startup as you approach the interval.
On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 12:11:07 AM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

2001 Buick LeSabre has the same feature (oil %, likes, driver preference, etc).
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 8:50:37 AM UTC-5, herb white wrote:

I'd suggest googling for reset oil change light, not reset odometer. I would bet that would work. If not, there are Toyota vehicle forums that would have the answer. For typical vehicle it's some combination of pressing control buttons on the dash together with having the ingition key in the right position.

has been done. I would like to turn that light off . Thanks for any reply Herb

In my '96 Buick, it was something goofy like with the key in the 'on' position but the engine not running, press the gas pedal to the floor and release, three times within ten seconds, then turn the key off.
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 01:49:16 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

a little slide switch on the steering column that you flipped the other way when the light came on.. They have definitely changed technology since then.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, with mine you hold the reset button of the A trip odometer, turn on the key, and wait until it flashes. Easy enough but you certainly don't figure it out for yourself. Thank the Gods for the automotive forums.
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 05:50:34 -0800 (PST), herb white

I presume you have a lifetime odometer and one or two trip odometers. And a button to swtich from one to the other. To reset a trip odometer, hold that button down until it goes to zero. I'd be surprised if you can reset the lifetime odometer and if you could a indicator mark would show up saying it had been reset. That's what happens when you replace a broken odometer with a new one.
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 9:26:58 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Did you even read the post?

interval counter.