reset odometer

How does one reset the odometer on a 2009 Toyota Tacoma to zero after an oil change? The "maint required" light keeps flashing indicating an oil change is due which has been done. I would like to turn that light off . Thanks for any reply Herb

Reply to
herb white

Retired

I'd suggest googling for reset oil change light, not reset odometer. I would bet that would work. If not, there are Toyota vehicle forums that would have the answer. For typical vehicle it's some combination of pressing control buttons on the dash together with having the ingition key in the right position.

Reply to
trader_4

I presume you have a lifetime odometer and one or two trip odometers. And a button to swtich from one to the other. To reset a trip odometer, hold that button down until it goes to zero. I'd be surprised if you can reset the lifetime odometer and if you could a indicator mark would show up saying it had been reset. That's what happens when you replace a broken odometer with a new one.

Reply to
micky

Did you even read the post?

Reply to
trader_4

According to Toyota, push and hold your odometer reset button and turn the key to "on" position until the light goes out.

Reply to
Robert Green

Retired posted for all of us...

+1 or RTFM or ask dealer or DAGS
Reply to
Tekkie®

"Robert Green" <

The guys that came up with 'the way to do it' must have had a blast writing the manual! I have a '03 buick century and wanted to change the headlight time delay, it was set for 1.5 min's, I wanted it off on shutdown. Got the manual for it and it was hilarious 'the way to do it' was written. To change settings you had to like hold the door lock button while shifting from park to reverse three times! heh heh .... to reset oil change odometer you turn on the key and step on the accelerator three times turn off key and then restart. Without the manual, you would never figure out how to change settings. No wonder that setup is now obsolete.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

trader_4 wrote in news:e8a6dba5-a982-4238-adb4- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

change? The "maint required" light keeps flashing indicating an oil change is due which has been done. I would like to turn that light off . Thanks for any reply Herb

In my '96 Buick, it was something goofy like with the key in the 'on' position but the engine not running, press the gas pedal to the floor and release, three times within ten seconds, then turn the key off.

Reply to
Doug Miller

He asked the wrong question. What he wants to do is reset the service interval counter.

Reply to
clare

My Toyota has fulltime stability and traction control with no way to turn it off. I've seen instructions in the forums like hold the accelerator to the floor and while touching your left earlobe with you right hand apply the emergency brake three times. Then the damn thing resets itself when you turn the engine off anyway.

I never did figure out how to trun the check engine light off in my old F-150. A piece of electrical tape worked pretty good.

Reply to
rbowman

I think a car I had when those oxygen sensors in the tail pipe first came into use had a light that would come on at a certain milage to check the sensor. The sensors seemed to last for many miles after that. The cure for the light was to cut the wire going to the light.

I did not cut the wire, but did tape over the light.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On the early 'Yotas with the maintenance warning indicator there was a little slide switch on the steering column that you flipped the other way when the light came on.. They have definitely changed technology since then.

Reply to
clare

Hi, It sounds silly changing oil at certain mileage interval. Acura oil change interval is not fixed like that. It monitors engine running conditions and determine when to turn the code B1(code for change oil) on. Also lot of driver convenience features can be set to the likings of driver 1/driver 2 separately from MID. When combined with after market remote starter brain, there are many useful interesting possibilities.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Then there's the annoying and loud buzzer that some cars have when the drivers door is open, the engine is off, but the key is in the ignition (so you can listen to the radio.) I found and disconnected the key-in switch, but had to connect it again to add another fob to the door remote and later to replace the door remote receiver

Reply to
micky

Where did anyone say they were changing the oil at a certain mileage interval? All I saw was a question about how to reset the service light after an oil change. And even if they are changing it at a certain, conservative mileage, I think that's probably better than relying on letting the car manufacturer push it to 15K. In many cases the manufacturer has incentive to push it, some now provide all service for the first 75K miles or whatever. Less oil changes, more money in the companies pockets. And any shortened engine life would only show up much later.

Reply to
trader_4

2001 Buick LeSabre has the same feature (oil %, likes, driver preference, etc).
Reply to
bob_villa

Hi, OP, gave me an impression his truck oil change light was triggered at certain resettable odometer reading. People change oil/filter too often on newer cars which uses unleaded fuel, better formulated oil, better spark plugs, hotter running engines. My truck dash shows oil condition by percentage like 80%, 60%... 20%, then B1 code. I mostly do freeway high speed driving. Oil change interval comes down to ~10 - 12 months. But wife's little 4 banger with short stop and go city driver, I change oil/filter twice a year. Kid's Subaru WRX STi(modified, bigger turbo, intercooler, tranny, suspension, exahust) is driven hard, always on synthetic oil which is replaced every 4 months. All our vehicles last over 200K miles without a major mechanical issues, never burns oil during their life time with us. We don't trade in cars every few years, we keep them LONG and take care of them. when enough money is put aside, buy replacement with cash.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Got me wondering if I could put off oil change to annual on my 12 year old Subaru that I only drive < 6,000 miles a year.

I get it done in a shop where I had bought tires and get free rotation every year and had been changing it myself between rotations.

Friend also had op's complaint about Toyota as when he changed his own oil at recommended intervals, warning light would come on anyway. He had to go to dealer to find secret of turning it off.

Reply to
Frank

I don't see why not. I sure wouldn't be changing it more than once a year. I don't think any manufacturer now recommends any more frequently than 5K miles or once a year. With synthetic they are doing 10 to 15K.

Reply to
trader_4