Rerouting DWV - vertical drop?

In my basement my 4" main cast iron pipe comes into the house about 2' off the floor 10' from the corner. It then turns 90 degrees to get to the side wall, then proceeds along the side wall to the back of the house. Another 90 to run along the back wall 10' to catch the drains from the kitchen and bathrooms.

Since I can have a vertical drop in the wall to get to the basement is there any reason why I can't take the existing drain in the basement and raise it up to the ceiling then drop it the 5' needed to get back to the existing hole in the foundation?

The only issue I can see is I would have a 5' vertical drop right before the house trap. The house trap is about 6' away from the foundation.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Sounds like fair plan. I'd want input from a pro plumber before committing, though. Since you will be doing it in PVC most likely, there could be an opportunity to add some things for future changes, like a island with plumbing in the kitchen that seems to all the rage these days.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Does the pipe where it is now slope downwards as it travels along the walls? Mine does.

After you move it, will it slope downwards as it travels along the ceiling?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

My plan is NFG. I was hoping to raise it up to give me room for base cabinets and a counter. The furnace flue is right in the way.

Oh well.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Build out a wall in front of the pipe with access panels near any clean-outs...

Don't move it, just hide it behind whatever you wanted to move the pipe to build...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan