replacing tile - toilet has foam instead of wax

I just pulled up all the old tile, and took the toilet out.
I have never removed/installed a toilet before.
I noticed a foam ring on top of the drain. I thought this was supposed to be a wax seal?
I broke the mounting bolts for the toilet, is this a big deal?
that rubber ring is sometimes used. the toilet bolts are critical. if you break the floor flange you must replace/repair it. see: www.fluidmaster.com
hombrewdude wrote:

I just broke the bolts off. Not the flange
buffalobill wrote:

You should replace the seal anytime you remove the toilet. Take the foam seal off. If tiling in the area of where the toilet was........then you need the biggest/tallest wax seal when re-installing the toilet......if you dont get the bigger one......then it will not be sealed correctly. ......(you will be raising the height of the toilet from the flange).
avid_hiker wrote:

Forget the wax seal. Use the new 'waxless' seals. Try a search on 'fernco waxless toilet seals' I used it last summer on a replacement - I'll never go back to the wax seal.
Harry K
hombrewdude wrote:

The bolts are designed to break easily. Get a new set, about two bucks.

Some tiles are pourous, and can absorb the oils in a wax ring. So alternate seals(foam, rubber,etc) are used to protect the tiles.
Just what I saw on a tv show.
later,
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info