Replacing microwave? ? ?

I need to replace my 8-year-old Maytag over-the-stove microwave.

I can get a new Maytag at Home Depot at a good price, but they don't install. Is this something I can do, or should I seek a professional, and if so, how much can I expect to pay?

Reply to
Ray Jenkins

I've done it twice so far. You may get lucky and have the same mounting bracket as the old model, but who knows, they change stuff all the time.

You already have electricity so the biggest problem is solved. Move the stove out of the way. You don't want to be lifting the mw and injure your back. In most cases, you need a screwdriver, drill, hammer, maybe a wrench or two. You can probably find the instructions on the Maytag web page to see what is involved.

Another option is to go to a real appliance store. Most have delivery and installation at reasonable cost. You may also find the price is about the same as the big stores. My local dealer is a member of a co-op (Brand Source) and the prices are within $10 of the big store. Locally, I get personal service. Bought a washing machine at 11:00 AM on a Saturday and it was delivered and hooked up by 3:00 PM. Will Home Depot do that? Sears? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you are reasonably handy and the new unit is the same width you should be fine. You will need a drill, bits, screwdrivers and helper to help lift.

All the units I have seen hang on a metal ledger strip (or two) that you attach to the wall and two screws secure the unit to the mounting plates. Just make sure you hit at least two studs when you mount the ledger strip. This might mean drilling a couple of holes in the mounting bracket.

Buy the unit, take it home and really read the instructions, or at least look at the pictures :)) before you start.

Just curious, what killed an 8 year old one?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

:(

:)

:(

Usually yes, esp since an old one is there now....but we -really- don't know your skill level....most OTR microwaves come with detailed instructions!

example of an install.

In my area, $75-100 ( Canadian ) is common.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff