Replacing garbage disposal

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

They are talking about doing that in this area too. They can't build a sewer system that works right, so instead they want to ban garbage disposals.
While we moving in the "how do you get away with that" direction, what do people think of garbage disposals in a house with a septic system? For all but a small part of my life I have lived in houses with septic systems. They have all had garbage disposals. Many people say this is asking for trouble, but none of the systems has ever failed. I just moved into a new house. The person who installed the septic system, conventional, said I should absolutely not install a garbage disposal. Meanwhile, my wife is whining constantly about how inconvenient it is to not have a disposal. Thoughts?

They have companies that can pump yer tank when its full. This will happen eventually no matter WHAT you put in the septic tank. The little bit of garbage that goes in there shouldn't be a problem.
That said...septic tank OFTEN means rural...and we never put garbage down the drain when I lived in the country. Peelings, etc. usually went to feed SOME animal...or in a compost pile. lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
"Trent" wrote:

I realize they can be pumped, and that a little garbage should not be a problem. I am trying to get to the bottom of why the person who installed my system was emphatic that a disposal should not be installed.

Yup, it's rural, but not a farm. I think my neighbors would frown on my keeping livestock. :-) I might do a compost pile eventually, but first I need to do some clearing, too many trees for a garden.

You too.

Probably just personal opinion and/or prejudice. Ask him.
When I lived in the country, garbage collection...my own responsibility, with a private company...was expensive. So putting out things in the garbage that wasn't absolutely necessary wasn't an option.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
"Trent" wrote:

I did and he would not budge. Looking for other opinions.

I pay a flat rate per quarter so it matters not whether things go down the drain or in the can. The issue is purely one of convenience, and more importantly, to placate a whining wife :-)

Thanks.
Should be, wife and baby are returning home today after being gone, visiting family, since October 18th.

For what's it worth...I sell disposers as part of my job and I asked the Insinkerator representive about disposers and septic systems a couple of weeks ago. His answer was that there is absolutely no reason not to use one with a system system. He cautioned not to ever pour grease down any sink. He also said to always run COLD water when using the disposer as hot water will cause any fats in the food to emulsify and coat the pipes, whereas, cold water will make the fats form globules and go down the pipes without sticking. I can't see any reason why putting food waste down a sink disposer would be much different than running it through our bodies first, other than much more sanitary.
Tom wrote:

Thanks, this is the kind of alternate opinions I was looking for. I knew fat should not be poured down the drain, but never thought of running cold water instead of hot.

local authorities have banned the use as well as the replacement of existing units, and doesn't allow any new installations!<<
First I've ever heard of that, guess it depends on where you live. The city I live in (Tulsa) tells you what kind of sewer pipe you can install or replace with. Years ago we had to use cast iron (that's what I have) but I think that they now allow PVC. I've been sitting on the same corner for the last 52 years and have never had any city related sewer problems and have used a disposer all of those years. Had to replace the old orangeburg sewer line with cast iron back in the late 60's or early 70's to keep the city fathers happy, that was a financial experience. RM~
PS, Have never had any sewer problems since installing the cast iron sewer pipe. Yeah, I know, I got off topic.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

We have no ban on using disposers, so there's no problem.