replacing front edge of laminate countertops?

On this house I bought a few months back, there were several spots where the front edge of the kitchen counters chipped, and the same thing in the main bath. ( I don't want to change counters right now, since the rest of both rooms are pretty tired also, but gut jobs just aren't in the budget right now, and being a single guy, I'm not that fussy.) However, I was wondering if there was any practical way to re-edge the existing counters, which are otherwise in okay shape. No burns or big stains or worn-through spots, etc. I realize there is no way to match obsolete Formica patterns, but maybe a contrasting color, or wood, or something? It is an old-style applied front strip, not a formed edge or anything. Complicating factor is the curved end where original kitchen abuts the newer family room in sort of a half-ass breakfast bar. About a 48" half circle. The straight runs also have eased corners.

Does anyone still make the 1950s style brush stainless front trim, that tacks in from below, and could be curved around the end of the breakfast bar? Counter backsplash actually has aluminum trim, so it would almost look appropriate.

(Damn shame what the previous owners did to the original 1960 solid wood cabinets with their amateur refinish job, and 5 layers of sticky paper on the shelves. If they hadn't done that, I'd probably spring for new countertops, vinyl floor, and paint, and call the kitchen remodeled.)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

For me installing wood around the radius corners would be a project killer.

Adding a new laminate edge would be no problem with the right tools and a little practice.You might even luck out and match the existing. Some colors and patterns have a lot of staying power. There are three major players in the laminate field between them they have quite a collection.

I haven't seen the aluminum edging recently but I bet it is still out there somewhere.Yep it still is:

Interestingly enough if you search without the quotes you will find that there is now an a plastic laminate that looks like aluminum.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

You just provided the OP with a search result that had a web-board post with a link that doesn't exist, an advertisement to a Bizrate search, a link to Target, a link to a message that no longer exists, an advertisement to two companies that don't have trim at all, an ad to Ebay, an ad to NexTag, an ad for an industrial metal company, and one for Home-Ideas.org.

Maybe "T" moulding like this would help:

Shoebox Chevy

It was a worthless link. I saw 55 pages and did not check them. Got back in from work and the page was still sitting here. Took a look and realized I had messed up.

Your link looks promising for him.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt